Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts for refugees, guidelines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-refugees-guidelines-t305330.html)

ckcowl 06-21-2019 06:31 AM

Nice patterns that don’t contain novelty fabrics would be best- then you don’t have to worry about it. I seldom use novelty prints in any quilts I make unless something is specifically asked for.

sewn3w 06-21-2019 05:50 PM

Grunge or batiks would probably be safe

rjwilder 06-22-2019 04:02 AM

if possible try to find out which african countries they are from, there are 54 of them. Some practice Christianity, others Muslim, or Islam.

Tothill 06-22-2019 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder (Post 8268457)
if possible try to find out which african countries they are from, there are 54 of them. Some practice Christianity, others Muslim, or Islam.

I know which countries they are coming to Canada from, I do not know for certain what their country of origin is, nor can I make a guess about their religion even if I knew for certain, which country. I want to make quilts that do not contain any symbolism that could be offensive.

I had briefly thought about making Canada themed quilts, but many of the theme fabrics have beaver, moose, geese or horses on them. I have decided to avoid animals all together. I may use a Maple Leaf block as the label on the back.

Dakota Rose 06-22-2019 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tothill (Post 8268507)
I know which countries they are coming to Canada from, I do not know for certain what their country of origin is, nor can I make a guess about their religion even if I knew for certain, which country. I want to make quilts that do not contain any symbolism that could be offensive.

I had briefly thought about making Canada themed quilts, but many of the theme fabrics have beaver, moose, geese or horses on them. I have decided to avoid animals all together. I may use a Maple Leaf block as the label on the back.

I think the Canadian theme is great. The maple leaf, historic places, symbols, etc. (other than animals) would help them get to know their new country.

Annaquilts 06-22-2019 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dakota Rose (Post 8268587)
I think the Canadian theme is great. The maple leaf, historic places, symbols, etc. (other than animals) would help them get to know their new country.

I think something patriotic would be nice and avoid the animals.

quiltykiwi 06-27-2019 02:19 PM

A. After the terrorist attack in Christchurch New Zealand. many people donated heart blocks to be made into quilts. I believe that red is not a good colour for Muslim families. Green is good.

CanoePam 06-28-2019 07:05 AM

Friendship star in solid colors.

Onebyone 06-28-2019 11:33 AM

I hope the experience is a good one for you. It was not a good one for my sew group when we tried to help a refugee family.

Cybrarian 06-29-2019 06:56 AM

Batiks might be a good choice also, maybe focusing on water colors: blues, greens, purples, grays for the gentleman, Kaffe fabrics for the lady sounds great.