Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts for Teens (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-teens-t84764.html)

olebat 12-23-2010 05:07 PM

My 4-H students are enjoying the kaleidescope effects. A simple 4 repeat to make a block, with a little sashing, seems to fascinate them. I don't get as complex as the OBW for them. I also try to stay focused on their favorite colors and their hobbies. One of our graduating seniors is into pink. (Even has her pick-up truck is painted pink.) She raises horses and is the teen leader of the horse club. The quilt I have planned for her has pink horses galloping off into the blazing pink/orange/blue sunset. Rabbits for the leader of the Bunny club, musical instruments and notes for the boy who mastered in Band. They are all pretty much individualized. Then, there are the collage prints . . . No GA Tech for the kid who plans to live in the dorm at UGA. Except for the youth who have been close to a quilting family, I find that their eyes do not "see" the complexity of pieced patterns. By keeping it simple, in their colors, with prints which talk to them, they are far more appreciative.

mbogenpohl 12-23-2010 05:12 PM

My 15 yr old daughter is really into the zebra print with hot pink.

lclang 12-23-2010 05:37 PM

Kids seem to like t-shirt quilts, denim quilts and most anything nice and bright.

cathyvv 12-23-2010 06:43 PM

My 16 year old grand daughter loves anything Japanese or Asian. So I am making her a Japanese lantern pattern quilt.

My 11 year old grandson wants 'red, black and white' and 'flames'. That one will be a challenge...but I have a plan!

gotthebug 12-23-2010 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I made for my 19yr old daughter. she and her friends LOVE it. It's a simple 3 piece 12" block. (My own design) I think I used something like 15 different black and white prints.

Mariposa 12-23-2010 07:41 PM

Brights and prints are good. My 16 year-old daughter loves hot pink and lime green!

Dina 12-23-2010 07:46 PM

I would avoid traditional quilts. A focus fabric depicting their passion is a good idea....cats, dogs, skating, surfing, Harry Potter, etc.

bevster 12-23-2010 09:07 PM

Thank you so much (Pocoellie, gale, amma, Mattee, Kryssa, Lynn, Chigger Holler, sandraa, Favorite Fabrics, olebat, mbogenpohl, Iclang,cathyvv and gotthebug) you have really been helpful. I know she likes bright colors and I am going to go with that. Her Mom says she likes clothes from "Hot Topic" in the Mall. I went there and there is all sort of themes on T-shirts, hoodies etc. I will check out what theme she is in to and possibly try to find some fabric on that line. Or, stick with contemporary as suggested. THANKS AGAIN! LOVE THE QUILT PICS!

wesing 12-23-2010 09:15 PM

Our teenage nieces and nephews all got traditional, simple patterns using fabrics related to their interests (motorcycles, music, guitars, "retro" ) and they all loved them. We used alternating 4-patch, D9P, Friendship Star, and YBR.

Also tonight I purchased a book at Jo-Ann called "City Quilts." The designs are very modern-looking and use solid or near-solid fabrics. I thought they would make good guy quilts, but I think many teenagers would enjoy them too.

Merry Christmas.

Darren

Willa 12-23-2010 09:21 PM

It all depends on the receivers. When I made my biscuit quilt my neices LOVED and wanted it. Then when I was working on my cathederal window quilt they were begging for that one. If you can find out what colors and interests they like, you could incorporate those into to any quilt even traditional. Are you able to let the girl/girls help you pick out their own fabrics and pattern? The more involved they can become the more they will love and appreciate it. My son helped me pick out a pattern and fabric for his quilt and he still wants that one over all my others. You really can't put all teenagers in the same catagory. Some will like traditional and others contemporary. Some will love pink, for instance, and others hate it.