Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts as wedding gifts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-wedding-gifts-t187485.html)

SuzieQuilts 04-28-2012 08:30 PM

To me, a quilt is a gift from the heart, and you can't put a price tag on that. A gift is a gift, regardless of what it is. You should give it with the best intentions and let it go. For every person that does not appreciate it there are ten recievers that do.

LucyInTheSky 04-28-2012 11:43 PM

I understand the idea and I agree that non quilters don't appreciate what goes into a quilt. That being said, I think it would be tacky to give someone a quilt with a "oh, it's worth this much" tag attached. Same as with someone suggesting writing on the label how many hours go into a quilt. I completely understand the idea behind it, but I feel like that's kinda shoving in the person's face that they should value it because here's how much it's worth or here's how many hours I spent. For Xmas, I gave my friends quilts and each one cost about $100. They don't need to know that. I'd rather they didn't. I think it takes away from doing something that I enjoy to give to people that I care about.

ckcowl 04-29-2012 12:56 AM

quilts appraised by AQS certified appraisers generally receive an (Insurance appraisal)---not a market price appraisal- and the appraisal clearly states it is for insurance purposes- not for re-sale. I've had a number of quilts appraised- and passed the appraisal on with the quilt in a few occassions- my daughter's wedding quilt being one of them- we did not look at it as leaving the price tag on---it has nothing to do with a price-
it has to do with having accurate documentation so if something should happen (the house burns down) there is a record of the value of the quilt for the insurance company- without an appraisal an insurance company is not going to give you the value of a quilt- only replacement costs of going to the local retailer & replacing bedding.
i have sold a couple quilts that also have appraisals with them- the selling price was no where near the appraisal value---again- an appraisal is not a market value-it's an insurance value. getting an appraisal is nothing like...Antiques Road Show

earthwalker 04-29-2012 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5178905)
quilts appraised by AQS certified appraisers generally receive an (Insurance appraisal)---not a market price appraisal- and the appraisal clearly states it is for insurance purposes- not for re-sale. I've had a number of quilts appraised- and passed the appraisal on with the quilt in a few occassions- my daughter's wedding quilt being one of them- we did not look at it as leaving the price tag on---it has nothing to do with a price-
it has to do with having accurate documentation so if something should happen (the house burns down) there is a record of the value of the quilt for the insurance company- without an appraisal an insurance company is not going to give you the value of a quilt- only replacement costs of going to the local retailer & replacing bedding.
i have sold a couple quilts that also have appraisals with them- the selling price was no where near the appraisal value---again- an appraisal is not a market value-it's an insurance value. getting an appraisal is nothing like...Antiques Road Show

I agree with this statement. As well as quilting, I have a keen interest in Antiques and Collectables. We purchased a stunning and rare piece of retro Art Glass on the occasion of the engagement of my eldest stepson (he and his now bride have their own building and design company). We included an insurance valuation......which they appreciated greatly.

QM 04-29-2012 01:52 AM

I agree with Lori S. I only want to give wedding quilts to those who actually want them. There is way to much time and expense for something someone just might want. Also, my tastes may be very different from someone else's. I sent an email to various relatives letting them know I had in mind to make a wedding quilt for each member of the next generation. My nephew said, "Thanks but no thanks, not our thing." Others were excited by the idea. they had a right to their choices. I am ambivalent about the message of an appraisal.

deedum 04-29-2012 03:47 AM

I just gave a quilt last month for a wedding, the couple loves it and appreciates it. Her mom has bought many quilts over the years, so I am confident the bride knows the cost of quilts in this case but a very good point you made. It is important they know the value of the quilt and the gift of time that went into it!

carrieg 04-29-2012 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom (Post 5178489)
You wouldn't be referring to Donna Kooistra, by any chance? She is a terrific appraiser and she is absolutely correct! Most non-quilters have no idea of the value of the gift they are receiving, and therefore do not take appropriate care of it.
A written appraisal is a wonderful idea. I would also include detailed care instructions, so that the recipients are able to preserve their gift.

Yes, that is who it was. She was a wonderful speaker. I have read on this forum & others about giving quilts that you later find being used as a dog bed. So many people think the value of a quilt is what you pay for it at Wal Mart. I thought it was a good idea she had to let people know this is an heirloom gift. Of course, as an appraiser that also gives her more business. LOL

sweetana3 04-30-2012 03:19 AM

Our speaker told us she had an appraisal done on an elaborate wedding quilt she gave to her son. Her daughter-in-law took the quilt to be dry cleaned (oh no) and they "lost" it. When they told the dry cleaner they would file a claim with their appraisal, the quilt was "found".

Another woman made a quilt for another daughter-in-law and the girl was quite dismissive until she saw the ribbons won by the woman. For some shallow people, status and money are all they recognize.

reginalovesfabric 04-30-2012 05:02 AM

thanks, I am about to give two as gifts.

stchenfool 04-30-2012 05:07 AM

A great idea.