Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts as wedding gifts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-wedding-gifts-t187485.html)

sewbizgirl 04-30-2012 05:35 AM

If I received a quilt with such an appraisal on it, I would think it was as tacky as deliberately leaving a pricetag on. It would offend me...

Farm Quilter 04-30-2012 07:42 AM

I have started incorporating my labels into the backing of my quilts and quilting them into the quilt, so they cannot be re-gifted easily or if stolen, the identity will be hard to hide. If I am giving a quilt to someone who is ignorant of the value of the quilt, I'll figure out a way to tell them that if someone they know is interested in a quilt of about the same size, I'll be happy to make one for them but tell them that the price will start at $500 and go up. That way they have an understanding of the value of the quilt, and I just might get another quilt sold!

TanyaL 04-30-2012 12:52 PM

I see no difference in works of art whether they are quilts, oil paintings or jewelry. If I made the setting and put a precious stone in it and gave that piece of jewelry as a gift, I would include an insurance appraisal. If I painted a painting worth many hundreds of dollars I would give an insurance appraisal with it. I see no difference with a beautiful handmade quilt. Not everyone is fortunate enough to receive gifts with a value that deserves to be insured.

Latrinka 04-30-2012 12:54 PM

The only people I would give a quilt to for a wedding present are my children, and they know how valuable they are, more so than monetary value.

DonnaQuilts 04-30-2012 01:10 PM

I saw recently that the going rate for appraisals starts at $45.

DonnaQuilts 04-30-2012 01:17 PM

We run that risk when we give away a quilt, like putting a child out for adoption. After we put hundreds of hours into something, it be comes part of you. Only give it to someone who cares. Many don't even have a clue. Todays socity has become a "throw away" society and few value these things we cherish. I must admit, I didn't realize how much work went into quilting until I made them myself.
Years ago, I rode horses (a lot) and my dear little neighbor lady quilted a saddle pad for my horse, for under the saddle. Looking back, she must have loved me a lot, or my horse. Thank you Mrs. Long.

Rose_P 04-30-2012 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by LynnVT (Post 5178475)
If I bought someone a gift, I wouldn't leave the price sticker on it, so why would do that? I only give a quilt when I know the person wants it. Making it a surprise is very risky. It might mean they would feel obliged to display it even if it's not their taste, or they might just pack it away. Cost is less important than the pleasure someone would have in the gift. Maybe if they love you, they are touched by your kindness, but you need to be very sensitive to what they like, not just what you do. If they have a registry, look at what they asked for and try to find out their color choices, decorating style, etc. If you already know they like traditional stuff, you might be safer. I asked my daughters what they wanted, some were very specific, as they were later with baby quilts. One appreciates whatever I give her and loves the appliqued tree of life I designed for her.

I agree with this completely. Adding the price seems tacky to me, plus you will be out an appraisal fee. If there is any reason to doubt that your gift will be appreciated, why do it at all? Almost everyone these days uses a bridal registry. Save yourself potential grief, and save the gift of your talents for those you know will be deserving.

mimiof4 04-30-2012 05:51 PM

I find this thread interesting especially this week as I will be giving two wedding quilts this weekend, both of my DD's are getting married this summer and they are having a shared shower this weekend. They know the value of quilts as they have been here for many years watching them being made. I tend to give quilts at the bridal showers because there you do get to see the reactions, at the weddings so many times anymore they donot open the gifts. Which IMHO is quite boring. Both my girls still live with DH and myself, and one of the girls asked if they were getting wedding quilts, I said why do you ask, she replied mom everyone gets one of your quilts when they get married. (Ha Ha) I can't believe she isn't more observant than that. I worked on one all fall and winter long almost every evening, and now it has mysterously disappered. Can't hardly wait to see their reactions.

itsbev 04-30-2012 06:13 PM

I only give quilts to who I know will appreciate the work I put into it. Usually family and mostly baby quilts.

Lavada 05-01-2012 02:26 AM

In our society there are so many divorces that i do not give quilts as wedding gifts i use to but not anymore