Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts with white in them, noticing them and they are very appealing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-white-them-noticing-them-they-very-appealing-t76302.html)

Shadow 11-15-2010 04:19 AM

I use a lot of white but as for white on white, be careful! The "white-on-white" will turn beige. It has for me!

quiltbuddy 11-15-2010 05:23 AM

I am attracted to quilts that use a solid color or tone on tone in the background. It gives your eyes someplace to rest. I like bed size quilts and they just feel more soothing in the bedroom verses a quilt with everything running into each other. Also, I like the old fashioned abstract quality and vivid designs. This also gives you the opportunity to show off your quilting in the blank areas. I have a bug to do a double wedding ring quilt with batiks in the rings and a dark muslin colored background to replace an older quilt on my bed that is all done in oriental fabric diamonds that has just a white diamond border.

judylg 11-15-2010 05:59 AM

Please feel free to post photos of your quilts with white in them, I love looking at them!

karenfae 11-15-2010 06:10 AM

Buy your white fabric wherever you buy your other fabric. Sometimes combining several whites on whites are beautiful too. If you have scraps combining is a great way to use them up. Some of the greatest quilters do that. You can never go wrong with a white on white background with scraps for your pieces - very vintage looking!!

karenfae 11-15-2010 06:11 AM

I have never had my white on white fabric turn beige and I have been quilting with them for years.

judylg 11-15-2010 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by karenfae
Buy your white fabric wherever you buy your other fabric. Sometimes combining several whites on whites are beautiful too. If you have scraps combining is a great way to use them up. Some of the greatest quilters do that. You can never go wrong with a white on white background with scraps for your pieces - very vintage looking!!

That is a very nice quilt with white in it with your name.

karenfae 11-15-2010 06:18 AM

(Buy your white fabric wherever you buy your other fabric. Sometimes combining several whites on whites are beautiful too. If you have scraps combining is a great way to use them up. Some of the greatest quilters do that. You can never go wrong with a white on white background with scraps for your pieces - very vintage looking!!)

(That is a very nice quilt with white in it with your name.)

That quilt is my hand pieced hand quilted Dear Jane quilt - I used Kona Cotton Cream for the background pieces - thank you for the compliment!

quiltlin 11-15-2010 06:20 AM

A lady in our guild makes lots of quilts with the 30's repro fabrics and she did one with black fabric and the repro fabrics and it was really beautiful!!!

Merrilin 11-15-2010 07:56 AM

I like using the white on white. it makes the quilt look so pretty. I have used it a lot. And my DH likes it too. He is my sounding board and tech (color) advisor. I like the beige on beige also.

Dianne Lenore 11-15-2010 08:15 AM

How do you think white will hold up? I made a beautiful quilt with a lot of white and wonder if it will be hard to keep nice if it shoud happen to get dirty or if age will affect the white.