Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts WITHOUT borders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-without-borders-t251753.html)

fayeberry 08-14-2014 07:41 AM

I do probably half my quilts without borders and like the look.

Jakers1 08-14-2014 09:57 AM

I made a scrappy quilt and used leftover fabric for the binding, so it also has a scrappy look. That could work a well for you - I just made sure strips I sewed together for the binding was long enough to be noticed and that also insure you do not have to use too many strips. My quilt does have a border, but there is no quilt police to say you must have one.

cowpie2 08-14-2014 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj (Post 6842214)
Quilts without borders is not a new idea. I have several old quilts, made by my Great, and Great Great Grandmothers without borders. My Grandmother (she is 105) refuses to use borders. She say's the borders just have too many wobbles (her words) to ease in. LOL

I'm with Grandmother - I don't care to use borders because they can be tricky for me to get attached without all the wobbles. With or without a border just a different look, both are good options. I do add borders when the quilt seems to ask for it, and don't when the size is already just right and I don't need a border.

misseva 08-14-2014 12:03 PM

I hate adding borders but I do if I need extra width/length. My mother never put borders on any of her quilts and neither did my grandmother.

IBQUILTIN 08-14-2014 12:04 PM

I don't put borders on many of my quilts. Like the Bricks and Mortar, and Around the World. It all depends on the quilt and sometimes who it is for. It depends for me if the quilt needs the added borders for the drop or for definition. Does any of that make sense?

oldtnquiltinglady 08-14-2014 02:40 PM

I am working on my first scrappy quilt and am not including a frame or border. Seemed pretty weird when I was piecing it, but it turned out pretty decent. I'm liking it.

Onebyone 08-14-2014 03:33 PM

I don't like the look of quilts that have borders added to just make the quilt bigger. A border that extends the pattern or has some interest is what I try to do.

Vat 08-14-2014 03:39 PM

I personally like quilts wih borders. I did a Hunters Star without borders and don't like it at all. But lots of the more modern quilts don't borders. Good luck ! !

Kitty10628 08-14-2014 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by misseva (Post 6844962)
I hate adding borders but I do if I need extra width/length. My mother never put borders on any of her quilts and neither did my grandmother.

I also hate adding borders. I have a Jacobs Ladder queen size I need to add borders to and just don't want to! Also, I am putting off quilting it myself! I am going to do some small Christmas table runners first. Confidence builder!

mom-6 08-14-2014 04:49 PM

In most cases the only border I want is just the binding. If I use sashing I do make sure it is on the outside edges as well as between the blocks for a finished look.