Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quite a day! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quite-day-t304187.html)

DJ 04-15-2019 04:03 PM

Quite a day!

A friend picked me up yesterday morning at 10 to go to Ben Franklin to look for the fabric I've been searching for. Of course, they didn’t have it. So, of course, we started perusing other wonderful fabric and I mentioned wanting to make a quilt for my DGSon (4 months old). I haven’t made him one yet because I just haven’t had the inspiration. At a seminar we had attended on Saturday, they were showing some quilt books for “3-yard quilts”. So when you find fabric for a quilt and don’t know how much to buy, you know you can buy 1 yard of 3 coordinating fabrics and pick a pattern from the book. Well, we didn’t get the book, but at Ben Franklin I did find some adorable fabric on the reduced-price tables that would be perfect for baby's quilt. Then I proceeded to find, not 2, but 3 coordinating fabrics (2 from the reduced-price tables). They did have one of the books, but it’s pricey and I wasn’t enthused about any of the quilts in that book. So I purchased 1 yard of each of 4 fabrics; came home and happily found the websites of the book author, and low-and-behold she had one of the patterns for free download on her site, and I liked it. From there I wanted to figure out how to use 4 fabrics rather than 3, so after some time on the computer I came up with a plan. I can’t wait to get started.

The website is fabriccafe.com.

On the way home, we decided to stop at a garage sale. WOW! The dearly departed had been a “master quilter”, so her SABLE was amazing! Much of it wasn’t really to our taste, but we did manage to pick up a bag of fabric to add to our own SABLE. (Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

JustAbitCrazy 04-15-2019 04:21 PM

You had a really full day. Now take a nap. :D

nativetexan 04-15-2019 05:23 PM

You did have a fine day! I must take care of my Sable!!

cashs_mom 04-15-2019 06:17 PM

I always buy from Fabric Cafe at Quilt Festival. They usually give free patterns with a fabric purchase and they do have some cute ones.

Sharonquilts 04-15-2019 11:15 PM

Sounds like you had a fun day. Our Ben Franklin closed and I do miss them. I could always find something that inspired me and the nicest lady that worked there was always so helpful.

SusieQOH 04-16-2019 04:29 AM

Sounds like you had a fun day! Quite a few years ago I got some Jinny Beyer fabric at a Ben Franklin in the Syracuse area. It was really inexpensive. I don't see that store around here.

trolleystation 04-16-2019 06:02 AM

Wish we still had Ben Franklin stores here.

Doggramma 04-16-2019 06:35 AM

It’s wonderful when things go so well. Sounds like you found some great buys.

Friday1961 04-16-2019 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by trolleystation (Post 8241168)
Wish we still had Ben Franklin stores here.

As do I, in our area. Ours closed years ago. So did our TG&Y, which I also loved. We no longer have any of those kinds of stores. Only dollar stores, which I don't like nearly as much.....and which do not carry fabric.

Iceblossom 04-16-2019 08:14 AM

I don't get out to the Ben Franklins nearish me very much, one is in Redmond, the other Monroe, both some 20+ miles from me. Always enjoy them when I'm in the area though! As I understand it, they are individually franchised so the fabric selections are different at the different stores. But I have fond memories of one when I was a little girl...

I like the sound of that book and will check out the fabriccafe link. I have a folder of "five yard quilts" that I've drawn up/printed off the internet, it's worth a google for images. Most of my fabric is under 3 yards, but a piece will catch my attention so I'm always looking for good ideas.