Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quite a day!

DJ

Quite a day!

A friend picked me up yesterday morning at 10 to go to Ben Franklin to look for the fabric I've been searching for. Of course, they didn’t have it. So, of course, we started perusing other wonderful fabric and I mentioned wanting to make a quilt for my DGSon (4 months old). I haven’t made him one yet because I just haven’t had the inspiration. At a seminar we had attended on Saturday, they were showing some quilt books for “3-yard quilts”. So when you find fabric for a quilt and don’t know how much to buy, you know you can buy 1 yard of 3 coordinating fabrics and pick a pattern from the book. Well, we didn’t get the book, but at Ben Franklin I did find some adorable fabric on the reduced-price tables that would be perfect for baby's quilt. Then I proceeded to find, not 2, but 3 coordinating fabrics (2 from the reduced-price tables). They did have one of the books, but it’s pricey and I wasn’t enthused about any of the quilts in that book. So I purchased 1 yard of each of 4 fabrics; came home and happily found the websites of the book author, and low-and-behold she had one of the patterns for free download on her site, and I liked it. From there I wanted to figure out how to use 4 fabrics rather than 3, so after some time on the computer I came up with a plan. I can’t wait to get started.

The website is fabriccafe.com.

On the way home, we decided to stop at a garage sale. WOW! The dearly departed had been a “master quilter”, so her SABLE was amazing! Much of it wasn’t really to our taste, but we did manage to pick up a bag of fabric to add to our own SABLE. (Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

You had a really full day. Now take a nap.

Blog Entries
    You did have a fine day! I must take care of my Sable!!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I always buy from Fabric Cafe at Quilt Festival. They usually give free patterns with a fabric purchase and they do have some cute ones.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Sounds like you had a fun day. Our Ben Franklin closed and I do miss them. I could always find something that inspired me and the nicest lady that worked there was always so helpful.

Sounds like you had a fun day! Quite a few years ago I got some Jinny Beyer fabric at a Ben Franklin in the Syracuse area. It was really inexpensive. I don't see that store around here.

Wish we still had Ben Franklin stores here.

It’s wonderful when things go so well. Sounds like you found some great buys.
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by trolleystation View Post
    Wish we still had Ben Franklin stores here.

As do I, in our area. Ours closed years ago. So did our TG&Y, which I also loved. We no longer have any of those kinds of stores. Only dollar stores, which I don't like nearly as much.....and which do not carry fabric.

I don't get out to the Ben Franklins nearish me very much, one is in Redmond, the other Monroe, both some 20+ miles from me. Always enjoy them when I'm in the area though! As I understand it, they are individually franchised so the fabric selections are different at the different stores. But I have fond memories of one when I was a little girl...

I like the sound of that book and will check out the fabriccafe link. I have a folder of "five yard quilts" that I've drawn up/printed off the internet, it's worth a google for images. Most of my fabric is under 3 yards, but a piece will catch my attention so I'm always looking for good ideas.

Blog Entries
    SABLE now that is a new one on me. Am I guilty? Of course.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a great day! Thanks for the link. I will go check it out.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Sounds like you and your friend had a great day together and found some treasures along the travels. I got tired just reading your message!! LOL

On a trip, we saw a Ben Franklin Store & I couldn’t wait to get in there. Holy Smoke ! fabric was expensive !

Now that is what I call well worth the trip, what an awesome way to spend the day, and the inspiration is back and in full gear. Have fun.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty
    Husqvarna Viking, Mega Quilter

I've never heard of a Ben Franklin, but it sounds like a really great and fun day.

What a wonderful way to spend the day with a good friend. Sounds like great finds!

DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
    I don't get out to the Ben Franklins nearish me very much, one is in Redmond, the other Monroe, both some 20+ miles from me. Always enjoy them when I'm in the area though! As I understand it, they are individually franchised so the fabric selections are different at the different stores. But I have fond memories of one when I was a little girl...

I like the sound of that book and will check out the fabriccafe link. I have a folder of "five yard quilts" that I've drawn up/printed off the internet, it's worth a google for images. Most of my fabric is under 3 yards, but a piece will catch my attention so I'm always looking for good ideas.
    Iceblossom ~ I'm near Seattle, also, and went to the Monroe Ben Franklins. Their fabric selection is awesome and wonderful counter help. If you do get there, be sure to stop at Quilting Mayhem in Snohomish. In fact, swing by my house and pick me up! LOL

Oh....how I wish we still had a Ben Franklin, TG&Y, Alco, Woolco/Woolworth's, etc. My favorite places to go. They've been gone for years here! Count your lucky stars you still have one of these great stores. The only thing we now have carrying fabric is Joann's(which I pretty much despise), Hobby Lobby, and some Quilt Shops.

LOL will do DJ. QA Show at the Monroe Fairgrounds is done for this year, but I understand there is a show in Everett in a week or so... will let you know if I head up that way!

I won't shop at Hobby Lobby for political reasons.