Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Return to the beginning

Return to the beginning

I pulled out all of my quilting material, with the goal of selling it. I felt like I was giving away my children . I need a super easy quilt pattern (other than squares), and an easy embroidery idea to get back into the game.

Setting pieced blocks with Snowball blocks (where the corners of a square are triangles) is fast and fun and has all sorts of possibilities. You can do a google on Snowball Quilts and get a 1000 ideas.

For best results the triangles of the Snowballs should match the triangles or at least corners of the pieced blocks... for example I'm going to be using some large scale Easter print as the center of my Snowball, and have decided on a LeMoyne star in coordinating colors with an extra triangle on the corner blocks. Or, in your case you can use the large piece for embroidering. The alternating blocks can be anything you want, from 9/16-patches (you said no squares though) to Churn Dash or Stars or really anything.

Power Poster
    Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Look through Jenny Doan’s Tutorials from the Missouri Star Quilt co. and see if there is a project you want to try. Maybe a table runner will restart your sewing mojo.

Welcome back to quilting! And welcome to the Board

Here is a super simple, easy and free pattern plus tutorial: http://cluckclucksew.com/2012/06/tut...bed-quilt.html

If you're wanting to add some embroidery, you could certainly do it on the solid/one piece 8.5in squares. I plan to do a little hand embroidery there when I make this soon.

Film In The Fridge also has some wonderful tutorials and patterns on her blog: http://filminthefridge.com/tutorials/
    Her Two by Four tutorial makes a cute and fast quilt, as does Rectangle Squared.

Moda Bake Shop has great tutorials too: http://www.modabakeshop.com/

Go to youtube and search for Jenny Doan. Great easy patterns with videos.

Welcome to this board.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from NE Ohio.

Youtube, Jordan Fabrics has lots of easy quick ideas. Hope it all works out and you get to keep your fabric and make it all into fantastic quilts and can post pics for us to admire....oh and welcome from Maine, sorry I didn't start with the welcome, I was just in so much shock with the idea of selling all your fabric.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty
    Husqvarna Viking, Mega Quilter

Hi from North Carolina! You'll find lots of people here with lots of ideas that will get you quilting in no time! Keep that fabric. You are going to need it to make some wonderful quilts!

Welcome from Michigan!

Welcome to the board....and, hopefully, back to quilting. When I get in a sewing slump, I always grab a small project that's full of colors and maybe a new technique to try...it always inspires me....maybe a pillow or table topper or fabric baskets to organize stash... You get my drift...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Chevron quilts are fast and fun. I prefer two fabrics plus a border when I make them.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Maybe easy isn't the whole answer. How about one that is much easier than it looks, such as Carpenter Wheel?

Here's a tutorial for a little one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeZlWsTIRfQ and here's a free printable pattern: https://www.patchworksquare.com/inde...el-quilt-block. For a larger wheel, there's this thread https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutori...t-t152544.html in which stitchenbee gives a useful method for figuring the sizes as well as a handy view of the layout. This type of quilt can be quilted as elaborately or simply as you might like.

One more idea for getting the squares to match the size of the hst blocks is to just grab whatever size squares are handy for you, make hsts from those and then measure the finished ones to decide how big to cut your plain squares. That seems to be the way to do it with the least possible stress. Even if they're some odd fraction, all you have to do it put some tape on your ruler to have consistent sizes without eye strain.

I know what it's like to hit dry spells. Hang in there. The joy of quilting will likely come back to you.
    In any case, you've definitely arrived at the right website for quilt inspiration and encouragement. Welcome!
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

Blog Entries
    Make an Irish Chain. It is easy, fast and looks far more complicated than it is.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I know the feeling. I would like to downsize my stash but just can't seem to. I have been making some quilts but it doesn't seem to shrink the pile. Such a problem!

I would do a small project in bright colors. Bright colors are always happy! The internet is loaded with ideas. Good luck!

Welcome back. Are you using an embroidery machine or the decorative stitches on your sewing machine? Strip quilts, I think, are very easy. They can be colorful or subdued. You can add decorative stitches with your sewing machine down the strips or along each side of seams. I like the idea Teen suggested of starting with a throw pillow...something small you can complete quickly. Or perhaps a baby quilt with wide stips and you can embroider across. Good luck.

Maybe a Disappearing 4 patch or Disappearing 9 patch? They look a lot more complicated than they really are. I've made both and am partial to the 9 patch.

Blog Entries
    Twist and shout by Deb and cat ( I think) is super easy and quick, with a beautiful finish.

If you have strings, a string quilt is lots of fun and no pressure.
    https://maryquiltscom.files.wordpres...tringsred1.pdf

Lots of great free patterns here https://maryquilts.com/

Welcome from Vancouver Island. Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville.com has a Free Patterns tab with lots of options - from simple to complex. She works scrappy but you wouldn't have to if you didn't want that all that variety. I agree with the others that a small project might be the best way to restart - a great feeling of accomplishment sooner rather than later. One of my first was a lap size 34" by 34" backed with flannel and a flannel for batting = easy.

Perhaps an idea would be to start on smaller useful projects ie placemats, coasters, tablemats, shopping totes, hot pads, purse sized tissue covers, drawstring bags, journal covers, snap top bags etc. There are hundreds of small easy sewing items out there on the "net" and all of which can be given as gifts. You may even be able to start sewing for a charity group.

Hopefully you find your sewing "mojo" soon and enjoy your fabric and what you make with it.