Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Return to the beginning >

Return to the beginning

Return to the beginning

Old 04-12-2019, 12:13 PM

Welcome to the board....and, hopefully, back to quilting. When I get in a sewing slump, I always grab a small project that's full of colors and maybe a new technique to try...it always inspires me....maybe a pillow or table topper or fabric baskets to organize stash... You get my drift...
Old 04-12-2019, 12:23 PM

Chevron quilts are fast and fun. I prefer two fabrics plus a border when I make them.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:14 PM

Maybe easy isn't the whole answer. How about one that is much easier than it looks, such as Carpenter Wheel?

Here's a tutorial for a little one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeZlWsTIRfQ and here's a free printable pattern: https://www.patchworksquare.com/inde...el-quilt-block. For a larger wheel, there's this thread Carpenters Wheel / Star Easy Project Reference Sheet in which stitchenbee gives a useful method for figuring the sizes as well as a handy view of the layout. This type of quilt can be quilted as elaborately or simply as you might like.

One more idea for getting the squares to match the size of the hst blocks is to just grab whatever size squares are handy for you, make hsts from those and then measure the finished ones to decide how big to cut your plain squares. That seems to be the way to do it with the least possible stress. Even if they're some odd fraction, all you have to do it put some tape on your ruler to have consistent sizes without eye strain.

I know what it's like to hit dry spells. Hang in there. The joy of quilting will likely come back to you.
In any case, you've definitely arrived at the right website for quilt inspiration and encouragement. Welcome!
Old 04-13-2019, 03:43 AM

Make an Irish Chain. It is easy, fast and looks far more complicated than it is.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:58 AM

I know the feeling. I would like to downsize my stash but just can't seem to. I have been making some quilts but it doesn't seem to shrink the pile. Such a problem!
Old 04-13-2019, 04:45 AM

I would do a small project in bright colors. Bright colors are always happy! The internet is loaded with ideas. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2019, 02:42 AM

Welcome back. Are you using an embroidery machine or the decorative stitches on your sewing machine? Strip quilts, I think, are very easy. They can be colorful or subdued. You can add decorative stitches with your sewing machine down the strips or along each side of seams. I like the idea Teen suggested of starting with a throw pillow...something small you can complete quickly. Or perhaps a baby quilt with wide stips and you can embroider across. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:21 AM

Maybe a Disappearing 4 patch or Disappearing 9 patch? They look a lot more complicated than they really are. I've made both and am partial to the 9 patch.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:48 PM

Twist and shout by Deb and cat ( I think) is super easy and quick, with a beautiful finish.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:30 PM

If you have strings, a string quilt is lots of fun and no pressure.
https://maryquiltscom.files.wordpres...tringsred1.pdf

Lots of great free patterns here https://maryquilts.com/