Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi There, I am a new member to the group,but have read the chat news for quite sometime. >

Hi There, I am a new member to the group,but have read the chat news for quite sometime.

Hi There, I am a new member to the group,but have read the chat news for quite sometime.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:20 AM
JS

I am a mother of two grown boys. I live in Pennsylvania now but am from Delaware originally. We raised our boys here in York,Pa. It is a nice place to raise children. Knowing the boys would someday leave the nest I knew I would have to find something to occupy my mind or miss them unbearably every day. My sister in-law introduced us to Ridgeback dogs and I was hooked. We have had them now for 19 years. Sometimes three at one time. We have gone the show and obedience route. Mine have all been registered therapy dogs and they have pulled off some true miracles.
We are down to one now (one year old) and we still take obedience classes and tracking. It was something I always wanted to do. Through the dogs was a good way to give something back to the community.
Another thing I have always wanted to do was quilt. Unfortunately no one in my family has ever had a interest in it nor do my friends. After years of telling my husband "I wish I could do that" a class became available in our local dept. store. He told me to TAKE IT!! I took a beginner class, but it was not well organized. I then took a quick course learning how to make "Grandmothers Garden" patches in a local craft and fabric store. Soooo...... I still consider myself a big beginner. Now that you know my life story may I ask a favor of you all? Through quilting I have met and made a wonderful friend who lives in Toronto,Canada. We have become so close we have visited each other and will be close forever I am sure. Someone showed her a quilt book titled "The Liberated Quilter". I believe the author is Gwen Marston. Not totally sure about the author. The book is out of print. I have found it on Amazon.com, but the price is a whopping $80.00. I would dearly love to get this book for her but can not afford an arm and a leg. Do you know where I might purchase this book somewhat cheaper or someone who no longer feels they need the one they have and is willing to sell it to me? Used is not a problem. I know we quilters take good care of our books like we do our fabric. They might be worn,but treated with respect. I have made a queen size quilt which came out not too bad really (no pattern) and a few wallhangings and baby quilts. All the same a true beginner, but loving it. I will thank you all in advance for taking the time to read my story and perhaps being able to help me with my request. Don't know why I waited so long to join the group instead of hanging on
the fringe of the fun and knowledge there for the taking.
My very best to you all.
Jean
Old 05-21-2007, 09:45 AM

Hi Jean... Welcome to the Board.

I do not have the book but will keep my eyes open for it.

Take care,
Carla (in MS)
Old 05-21-2007, 04:56 PM

Welcome! My ex's uncle was fromk York - used to take us to a great Farmers Market there. Thanks for the memories. Pull up a chair and have fun! Someone here is sure to be able to help you, or at least point you in the right direction.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:04 PM
JS

Hi Carla P. and Moonpi,
Thank you so much for the warm welcome and such a quick response. I am happy to meet you both.
Best,
Jean
Old 05-21-2007, 05:11 PM
JS

Moonpi,you are probably talking about the farmers market in downtown York. I live in the East end a little out of town and we also have a farmers market called The New Eastern Market. Due to the fact that it is newer and is in the east end I guess. Boy, the world is small is it not? Our claim to fame is the Harley Davidson plant and the oldest Fair in the country. They are both BIG.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:35 AM

You should try eBay. I am constantly amazed at the quilting resources available on eBay. There is even a "can't find what you are looking for" resource that is very helpful. Just a warning -- eBay can be as addictive as quilting.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:38 AM

Didn't find the book listed on ebay, but try the "want it now" and request it. I am sure some ebayer has the book you are looking for.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:41 PM
JS

Hi Dana, thanks very much for the tip! Thank you again for trying e-bay too. It is nice to meet you.
Jean
Old 05-22-2007, 04:42 PM
JS

Hi Again Danna,
Sorry for the misspelling of your name. That is one thing I try never to get wrong.
Jean
Old 05-23-2007, 09:40 AM

Don't worry about the spelling Jean. It was even spelled wrong on my birth certificate. :roll: