Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   In quite a tizzy here! Purple & Orange?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quite-tizzy-here-purple-orange-t106118.html)

PJisChaos 03-13-2011 03:03 PM

Ok, here is where I'm at on this. Gonna do the Rise and Shine pictured on page 7 here in shades of purples and oranges. Kind of a scrappy-like effect but with those 2 colors. Thinking of using a blended batik of purple and orange for the sashing to kind of tie it all together. Not gonna use the green as I don't want it to detract from the design. Hoping to avoid using the white too, that just doesn't fit with me. So, will be interesting to see how it comes out. I appreciate all the tips, and ideas and have added some of them to my to-do list in the future. LoL!
I will update as I go along but, have to get some fabs to start with first and that won't be til later this week.
Thanks again!!

Sadheart 03-13-2011 07:20 PM

How about the pin-wheel. or a churndash, or shoo-fly.
Seems like there was a pattern for the use of a pin-wheel with a college or sport team theme. It was in a quilt magazine
two months ago. Can't remember which one. And mix up the orange and purple hues. Softs, mediums, and brights or florals.
A nine patch or a disappearing 9-patch will work also.
And there is a tutorial here showing how to use the D9P to make the Arrow ( or Arrowhead ) design.
Good luck. Hope you will share pictures.

gmcsewer 03-14-2011 06:47 AM

That is a greata choice and I hope you enjoy making it.

Ragann63 03-27-2011 05:52 PM

I just bought a kit for my daughter that was all purple and orange - over $100! Can't think of the name, but one of the big male designer names. The fabric is gorgeous. I kind of like those two colors together and no way would I pair them with white...good luck!

quiltyfeelings 03-28-2011 03:45 PM

My MIL just did a bargello heart of purple and orange. She used about 5 shades of purple, 6 shades of orange and her connecting fabric was a Kaffe Fasset. BEAUTIFUL. I will get her to send me a picture to post.

TonnieLoree 03-28-2011 03:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sunshine and Shadows: This is actually a UFO that I am quilting right now. Orange/Yellows and Blues. Red is the center color of the blocks.

Sunshine and Shadows
[ATTACH=CONFIG]176699[/ATTACH]

quiltmaker 03-29-2011 03:39 AM

I agree with many others I believe batiks would be the way to go as they really can make a stuning quilt with the graduation of various colors. You could also pull other colors from the specific batik for a resting place for the eye.

PJisChaos 03-29-2011 06:34 PM

@ Tonnie---
That is a truly beautiful quilt ya got going there!! Absolutely love it, thanks so much for sharing it here.

Deborah12687 03-29-2011 06:51 PM

Why don't you try using a pinwheel design with the two colors and the rest of the blocks done in a light cream.

janjer 06-14-2011 07:09 PM

i was trying to find the books by Judy Howarth and all i get are links to a singer Judith Howarth. i do get links to judy howard of Oklahoma City who has quilt books. can anyone help?