Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Qwillow sewing not going well -help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/qwillow-sewing-not-going-well-help-t43855.html)

Joeysnana 04-25-2010 09:34 AM

I also broke a needle (16) today while sewing the pillow onto the quilt. Is that an indication that I need a larger needle?

AtHomeSewing 04-25-2010 10:00 AM

Broken needles happen for a variety of reasons, in your case I doubt that it is too small. Needles can break for lots or reasons, like it's hitting the bunched up threads or getting caught up in them. It could have a burr that you don't even see, and it could be defective.

Is the thread balling up under the needle plate?
If so, the machine is not threaded correctly, or the top tension is too LOW.

Whether it is the thread, the needle, or the layers is only a matter of figuring out which. Tension is simply a balancing act between these factors. So the first thing. Make absolutely sure the machine is threaded correctly. That is an easy thing to mistake. Get out the manual and double check. Find a needle that fits your thread, make sure the needle is inserted in the correct direction and that the thread path through it is correct. For instance on my Bernina the thread goes through the needle from the front, on very old Singer I have the thread comes from the back through the eye of the needle. Once you are certain that the machine is threaded correctly, then test stitch on some other fabric. If that works, then you know it is not your machine. If there is still looping or birdnesting then the tension on top is too loose, adjust the tension and keep testing. Once everything looks good, try the layers most likely with the walking foot on for best results.

Let us know what happens.

lalaland 04-25-2010 04:46 PM

Have you checked the tension on your bobbin? You may have knocked it out of whack.

nativetexan 04-25-2010 05:01 PM

if need be, get some paper and put that over the area you want to sew. since it's the bobbin, try pinning it on either side of the area to sew. it should help and then you can tear it away. worked for me on the top of something i was having trouble with. perhaps it will work with the bobbin thread too.

MonkeeGirl 04-26-2010 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
LOOKEY :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: what I just found as I was cleaning out my sewing closet!!

Scissor Queen 04-26-2010 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
I am trying to get back into sewing after not having looked at my machine for 20 years. I bought a Singer 2 years ago and figured it was time to use it. My qwillow is assembled and I am trying to sew the pillow onto the quilt front. The layers are thick- cotton, flannel, and low loft batting. The problem-my bobbin thread keeps bunching up horribly. I am using a size 16 needle. There is no dirt in the bobbin case. I am using Coats and Clark thread. Is my needle size wrong? Please help if possible. My granddaughter is so excited for her qwillow :-(

Are you trying to sew a pillow to a quilt? If you do that you can't lay on the pillow and cover up with the quilt at the same time.

A quillow on the other hand, is a quilt with a pocket so the quilt folds up into a pillow.

Joeysnana 04-26-2010 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

I am trying to get back into sewing after not having looked at my machine for 20 years. I bought a Singer 2 years ago and figured it was time to use it. My qwillow is assembled and I am trying to sew the pillow onto the quilt front. The layers are thick- cotton, flannel, and low loft batting. The problem-my bobbin thread keeps bunching up horribly. I am using a size 16 needle. There is no dirt in the bobbin case. I am using Coats and Clark thread. Is my needle size wrong? Please help if possible. My granddaughter is so excited for her qwillow :-(

Are you trying to sew a pillow to a quilt? If you do that you can't lay on the pillow and cover up with the quilt at the same time.

A quillow on the other hand, is a quilt with a pocket so the quilt folds up into a pillow.

I am making a quillow. I have the quilt sewn, but when I tried to sew the pillow onto the quilt, it must have been too thick and now the bobbin is bunched up. I also broke the presser foot lifter while I was trying to fit all the layers under the foot. so until the machine can be repaired at Joann's in 2 weeks, the project is on hold. my machine and I usually end up doing battle. sigh....

Sandra Craig 04-26-2010 11:49 AM

you might try holding on to the needle and bobbin thread when you start a new seam sometimes the thread will get pulled to the bottom and make a nest I have done this for years no matter what kind of machine I have.

Joeysnana 04-26-2010 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra Craig
you might try holding on to the needle and bobbin thread when you start a new seam sometimes the thread will get pulled to the bottom and make a nest I have done this for years no matter what kind of machine I have.

I checked my manual and it said the same thing. I was holding onto both threads so that isn't the problem, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded of it. :P

burnsk 04-26-2010 02:16 PM

I am making a quillow. I have the quilt sewn, but when I tried to sew the pillow onto the quilt, it must have been too thick and now the bobbin is bunched up. I also broke the presser foot lifter while I was trying to fit all the layers under the foot. so until the machine can be repaired at Joann's in 2 weeks, the project is on hold. my machine and I usually end up doing battle. sigh....

While your machine is in for repair will they check out your tension and make sure the machine is sewing OK?