Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   rag quilt scissors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rag-quilt-scissors-t251676.html)

pdlasley 08-11-2014 05:40 AM

rag quilt scissors

I have been using Fiskar spring loaded rag quilt scissors but they actually make my hand and arm hurt. I believe it is because they are so large and I have extremely tiny hands. Do you have any other recommendations for scissors to snip rag quilts with?

SherriB 08-11-2014 05:52 AM

I use Heritage Rag quilt scissors. They make cutting so easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Heritage-Cutlery-2-Inch-Spring-Quilting/dp/B0008F6R9U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407765060&sr=8-3&keywords=rag+quilt+scissors

willferg 08-11-2014 06:35 AM

I've used spring loaded scissors and regular scissors, even switching off between them on a project, and still my hands hurt. I think it's the nature of the beast, making all those snips.

Tartan 08-11-2014 07:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got mine on clearance from Walmart and they fit nicely in my hand. I think it might be the squeezing from the spring action rather than the size of your spring loaded scissors that is bothering you. Try to cut for a while and then do something else before continuing to cut.

slbram17 08-11-2014 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by willferg (Post 6840409)
I've used spring loaded scissors and regular scissors, even switching off between them on a project, and still my hands hurt. I think it's the nature of the beast, making all those snips.

I have read most raq quilt instructions tell you to do the snipping all at one time at the end of the process.

I clip right after I sew the blocks or rows together, as I go along. It doesn't seem to hurt anything as far as I can tell, and it keeps me from clipping all those blocks/rows at one time.

GrannieAnnie 08-11-2014 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by pdlasley (Post 6840303)
I have been using Fiskar spring loaded rag quilt scissors but they actually make my hand and arm hurt. I believe it is because they are so large and I have extremely tiny hands. Do you have any other recommendations for scissors to snip rag quilts with?

I have BIG hands so the Fixkar scissor is just fine for me. And it's also my "thread snip" when at the machine. AND this is a no-no but they're mine so I do it. Love them for dead heading summer flowers.

pdlasley 08-14-2014 08:38 AM

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I don't believe that it is because they are spring loaded as I use 2 other fiskar spring loaded scissors for other things and love them. I have a pair of spring loaded that are similar to the ones that Tartan purchased at Walmart but I love that these have a shorter blade so I don't get thru the stitching with them. I do try to split up my snipping in place of doing it all at once but these still aggrevate my hand and arm. I have been wanting to try the Heritage ones, just hate to spend that much on a pair of scissors.

quilt938 08-14-2014 09:19 AM

I have the ones Sherri recommends. Still not a pleasant chore but like them better than the fiskars and sometimes would regrip the opposite way for a few squares. Also took a lot if breaks. The best was when my dad thought it looked like fun and took over lol

Onebyone 08-14-2014 09:38 AM

Heritage Rag quilt scissors are the only ones I will use for cutting rag quilts. A pain free hand to accomplish what I like to do is worth more then the cost of scissors. I use the Go rag die for most all my rag quilts now. Makes me mad that at guild when I'm snipping blocks for our donation quilts, the same members that were with me when I bought them ask to borrow them because their hands are hurting. They didn't buy them because OMG that much for scissors that only snip? They were much then then they are now so they are a bargain.

Sewnoma 08-14-2014 11:25 AM

I made one rag quilt and I used the Fiskars spring-loaded snips. They worked OK but goodness, I felt like I was grinding my hands down to dust with all of that snipping!!

I've resolved that next time I "have to" make a rag quilt I'm going to bite the bullet and buy an Acuquilt cutter. They're expensive but my hands are worth way more than a cutter costs!!