Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Raw edge appliqué tips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/raw-edge-appliqu%E9-tips-t257269.html)

aeble 11-25-2014 03:31 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! They are nudging me in the direction of actually moving forward.

Does anyone have an opinion on using superior's mono-filament thread on this?

aeble 11-25-2014 03:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few of the mermaids. I'm using a few AccuCut paper doll dies to cut these.

Deb watkins 11-25-2014 03:51 AM

Heat-n-Bond light with blanket stitch. Never had a problem with fraying or coming off.

lclang 11-25-2014 03:59 AM

Live large! Try some of the embroidery stitches on your machine. My daughter bought a pattern that did just that and it sure added a lot to the quilt. Any stitch that will hold the edges down works fine. Use a scrap and try some of them to see what you like.

klutzyquilter 11-25-2014 07:51 AM

Your mermaids are adorable ... I like the diversity :thumbup: I can relate to your hesitation to move forward actually stitching on them. I just did my first machine raw edge applique using satin stitch ... the straight and slightly curved edges were not difficult but the tight curves gave me issues. My advice: Practice practice practice on test pieces .. become comfortable with your speed and technique. Wish I had practiced more !

BettyGee 11-25-2014 08:03 AM

I primarily use the buttonhole stitch, close stitches or turkey tracks or if the fabric is really easily frayed then I will use a satin stitch. It took a lot of practice and trial and error to find the settings that gave me the look that I wanted. Some of my earlier work reflects that search. Now that I've finally found what settings to use I love machine applique.

applique 11-26-2014 05:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by klutzyquilter (Post 6983626)
Your mermaids are adorable ... I like the diversity :thumbup: I can relate to your hesitation to move forward actually stitching on them. I just did my first machine raw edge applique using satin stitch ... the straight and slightly curved edges were not difficult but the tight curves gave me issues. My advice: Practice practice practice on test pieces .. become comfortable with your speed and technique. Wish I had practiced more !

I also use the satin stitch with the needle just off the edge of the piece and the majority on the piece. Drive the needle along the edge lifting the presser foot and realigning when needed especially for the tight curves. You can always do a second pass to smooth out an area if needed. Be sure to use a tearaway stabilizer on the back side of the background fabric as it will help control the movement and keep things flat.

klutzyquilter 11-26-2014 07:25 AM

I think that's the prettiest appliqued fish I've seen :)

sewplease 11-26-2014 08:06 AM

Lovely fish and adorable mermaids. What a talented group! :-)

aeble 11-27-2014 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by applique (Post 6984791)
I also use the satin stitch with the needle just off the edge of the piece and the majority on the piece. Drive the needle along the edge lifting the presser foot and realigning when needed especially for the tight curves. You can always do a second pass to smooth out an area if needed. Be sure to use a tearaway stabilizer on the back side of the background fabric as it will help control the movement and keep things flat.

That is a pretty cute fish!

It never occurred to me to try to keep the needle at the fabric edge and then into the piece. I probably would have just tried to center it the edge, but I believe you're likely suggesting this to keep it from fraying and to help maintain the shapes of the mermaids. Thanks!