Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Raw edge appliqué tips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/raw-edge-appliqu%E9-tips-t257269.html)

aeble 11-23-2014 07:49 PM

Raw edge appliqué tips

I've bit the bullet and my daughters' mermaid quilt is under way. It's my first time raw edge appliquing on something that will be washed (and fairly often at that).

Do you wonderful ladies (and gentlemen) have any suggestions for me? I've used Heat N Bond Lite for the fusable, and now I have to wrap my head around what stitch to use and what thread. I have a horizon 7700, so there is no shortage of stitch options.

Barb_MO 11-23-2014 08:45 PM

I like the buttonhole stitch.

lynnie 11-23-2014 08:47 PM

I do either the buttonhole (heirloom) or a close zig zag. I'll use whatever thread I have in the color I want. sometimes I match, sometimes I outline in black. once you get good, you could go either way. show us what you do. good luck and have fun

Tartan 11-23-2014 09:34 PM

It depends on what fabric you used for the applique. If you used batiks, they fray less so a lighter stitch would be fine like a buttonhole stitch. If it is regular quilting cotton, they are going to fray more. A buttonhole stitch is not going to hold a fabric that is going to fray a lot and us washed often. I think I would use a decorative stitch that is mostly on the applique fabric, like a feather stitch?

thimblebug6000 11-24-2014 08:03 AM

I usually use a satin stitch on my raw edge appliqué and I also use Heat'n Bond lite. I don't like the look of loose threads that happen when I use the buttonhole stitch.

Bree123 11-24-2014 01:29 PM

You could always do a satin stitch or other denser decorative stitch, but then you probably should also get some tear-away stabilizer to adhere to the back of your background fabric.

Doggramma 11-24-2014 02:32 PM

I use my free motion quilting foot and zip around the edges about 1/8-1/16th from the edge. I change thread to match the applique piece. Sometimes I need to go back around!

luvspaper 11-24-2014 03:53 PM

I've used FMQ with multiple passes.....It actually goes very very fast....and I've found it holds up well.... I tend to like to use a color one shade darker to kind of show an "outline"

Schmiel 11-24-2014 04:07 PM

I use blanket stitch

Rennie 11-25-2014 03:20 AM

Lynnie, care to post any close up pictures of some of your work? I want to do more, but the few pieces I have done I am not happy with - and I don't think I am doing them right. I would love to see some of what others have done so I can figure out where I am going wrong.

Rennie

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 6981805)
I do either the buttonhole (heirloom) or a close zig zag. I'll use whatever thread I have in the color I want. sometimes I match, sometimes I outline in black. once you get good, you could go either way. show us what you do. good luck and have fun