Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Re:magazine for beginner???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/re-magazine-beginner-t15272.html)

LoriJ 01-15-2009 11:04 AM

Bev, I've subscribed to Quiltmaker since I started quilting, I really like it. I've also had McCall's which I like also.

Bevanger 01-15-2009 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by LoriJ
Bev, I've subscribed to Quiltmaker since I started quilting, I really like it. I've also had McCall's which I like also.

Do they have really easy to understand instructions?

LoriJ 01-15-2009 11:24 AM

I thought they were pretty easy. They have lots of pictures of the steps too so you can see how it's supposed to go.

sharon b 01-16-2009 06:13 PM

Bev,I have a current subscription to McCalls Quick Quilts and they just sent me an email that if I renew now I can send a one year as a gift. Would you be interested in this ? Just pm me your name and address if you are interested. I am sure its just a way for them to reach more quilters and hope that after the free year you will want to continue on your own.
Sharon

froggy 01-16-2009 08:19 PM

my favorite quilting mag is "Quiltmaker" I recommend this mag to all of my beginning quilters, just because of the way it is laid out and the wonderful instructions
Hope this helps Froggy

weezie 01-17-2009 09:48 AM

I have a few hundred magazines and many different quilting "how to" books. If it's an option for you, you should purchase a book for beginner quilters. It would be far superior to ANY magazine. I've seen really good ones which include large color illustrations for everything. A good book covers about everything you would need to know. I would prefer all my books to have spiral spines (or whatever I'm trying to say) so they stay open to any page, but most of them do not have the spiral. If you have a used book store in your area, it might have inexpensive quilt books on the shelf; also Connecting Threads and other mail order quilt product suppliers often have their "How To" books on sale OR if you have a Joann's nearby and a 40% or 50% off coupon, they have quite a large selection of books to choose from as well.

Bevanger 01-17-2009 09:50 AM

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND IDEAS.... THEY'RE HELPING ALOT

weezie 01-17-2009 10:23 AM

I forgot to say that I don't recommend any of the many magazines that I've subscribed to for over a decade for a beginner who needs to learn the basics (plus a mag. subscription costs as much as a good book). The magazines are really good for AFTER you've learned the basics ... many of my magazines were free introductory offers. If I'm not impressed with the free issue, I write 'cancel' on the invoice and return it. Quilt World has that option available; if you have a computer and can go on-line and access Quilt World, perhaps you can find the 'free trial issue' offer. Many others offer a free trial issue, also.

Bevanger 01-17-2009 11:07 AM

I know all the basics, just want ideas and inspiration :D

dlf0122quilting 01-17-2009 11:15 AM

If you do not want to use magazines all the time, try going into the website www.quilterscache.com and in their dropdown menu is a place that says blocks galore or something like that and there are plenty of block patterns with instructions to help you get a handle on how to make different blocks. It tells you how easy or difficult they are by the little symbols on the side of each block pattern and what kind of method is used. You can also look them up by size of block you want to make.