Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Really cheap...cutting assistance.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/really-cheap-cutting-assistance-t185118.html)

stampinteresa 04-05-2012 04:43 PM

A friend of mine back home in VA went to the little hometown hardware and had some cut for (12x12) for
a project we were working on. It might be something to check on if you live in an area with little hometown stores. Teresa

valleyquiltermo 04-05-2012 04:43 PM

I had a bunch of sqs cut at my local hardware store, from 3" to 20" and it only cost me for the sheet. Pretty darn cheap and all cut to spec.

donnalynett 04-05-2012 05:01 PM

We are almost 2 hours from the nearest Lowe's so I just go to our local glass shop. They are very reasonable and I have only had one that was just a slight off but still usable. Not bad since they have done about every size I can think of for me .

sparkys_mom 04-06-2012 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5119070)
I never even thought about Lowes! I go to the window glass shop in my town and it is always cheaper than buying a ruler. You don't get the measuring lines but most of the time, the cut I am getting is for a specific project and don't need them. I check the measurements at the store before I leave and have never had an issue with it being off.

I probably wouldn't try to mark one of these off like a commercial ruler, but if you have a plain plastic one that was cut for you, just lightly score one side for the markings you want - it is easy to do on plastic, just put a straight edge down and run your box cutter down several times - lightly - to make an indentation. Then you can take a permanent marker - fine point - and run it down the scoring. Make sure to give it plenty of time to dry and then you will have a marked ruler. Use a scrap piece to practice first.

And Home Depot would probably cut these for you as well as Lowe's.

QuiltE 04-06-2012 04:14 AM

I've also had odd shaped templates cut .... the first was an apple core!
(and yes, I explain the importance of precision, and it's no problem)

I've always gone to a local glass shop. The price has been minimal!

meanmom 04-06-2012 04:40 AM

The Lowes here will cut squares or rectangles for me. Only some of the Home Depots will. Neither one will cut odd shapes. My brother cuts them for me on his band saw. Saves a lot of money. There is a template I wanted that was $35 my brother cut it out of a $3.98 piece of plexiglass. It is a template that would only be good for one particular quilt. I haven't tried the local glass shop for odd shapes.

Shirlrh 04-06-2012 05:31 AM

Great news - thank you!

ILoveToQuilt 04-06-2012 05:34 AM

Great idea! Have both a Lowe's and Home Depot near me and will remember this tip. Also, if you need to mark off the 1/4" from the edge, have you tried using the removable 1/4" tape? Some folks use this to mark the 1/4" on their sewing machine plates so they can see it easily. Maybe worth a try? Thanks again for this tip.

farmquilter 04-06-2012 05:36 AM

When I want a specific 'ruler' cut, I make a paper template and take it with me to make sure the finished cut is right. First time the True-Value hardware guy did not compare the template with his finished cut--he was off on one side by 1/2". It was re-cut at no charge.
I draw lines on the top of the new 'ruler' then score with a utility knife, I then fill in the scratch with a fine point permanent marker. Lines are visible and work for me. That is how I made all my Twister rulers and also made a 10" ruler for layer cake cuts. Put cabinet door cushions on them so they do not slide around and you are in business.
Jan

reginalovesfabric 04-06-2012 05:40 AM

Ladies have you ever thought to go to a glass company and ask for plexi glass templates. Some will cut them out of their scraps for nothing. I am lucky my brother owns a glass co and I work with a co that has a sheet metal shop and I have lots of templates in sheet metal and aluminun