Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Really cheap...cutting assistance..

Really cheap...cutting assistance..

Okay, several people have posted that they have had gone to the local Lowe's and had plastic rulers (squares, rectangles, etc.) cut for them. Did it today. I wanted a plastic 5"square (exactly) couldn't find one anywhere here in town so went to the window area and they had a 8 x 10 in two grades of plastic. The one (which would have worked) was 1.98, the next higher grade was 3.98. I went with that one. They did not charge me for cutting it and it and I got a perfect 5x5 square. So I had him cut a 4 x 4 and then had a 3 x 5 and 4 x 5 with a 1 x 4 left over. All for $3.98 - better than a coupon. If you needed an 8 x 10 - no cutting necessary and you can go to the next up at a 10 x 12 to get a 10 inch square with a 2 x 10 left over for 5.98. Just trying to keep us all saving a tad bit of money here and there. They can also cut 5 1/2" squares or 4 1/4 or 6 1/2 for not a lot of money.
    Busy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    Wow, that's wonderful! Now, to figure out where there is a Lowe's....
    Reading, cooking, sewing in retirement! Heaven!
    I'm proud to say that I'm a member of the Quilt A Month Club for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative! www.alzquilts.org
    I have a blog on QB now -- please drop in!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Now, measure them at home with a tape measure and make sure they are accurate! Reason..saw blades can move, and depending on where he cut, it could be off by a 1/8th or more!

Blog Entries
    Not all Lowes will cut plastic, ask me how I know?
    Bernie

Thanks, I'll have to do that.
    Heather

Blog Entries
    I never even thought about Lowes! I go to the window glass shop in my town and it is always cheaper than buying a ruler. You don't get the measuring lines but most of the time, the cut I am getting is for a specific project and don't need them. I check the measurements at the store before I leave and have never had an issue with it being off.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Thanks about checking the measurements when I got home and yes, I did measure them before I posted the message. Measure twice, cut once ;-) I did make it very clear that they had to measure exactly as I stated to the gentleman and he took his time and did it correctly.
    Busy in Ohio

What a great idea!! I will be going to Lowe's next week. Does anyone know if Home Depot will also do this?

Blog Entries
    cool

So clever. I would never of thought of doing this. So very glad you shared this wonderful cost savings tip.
    Evelyn

A friend of mine back home in VA went to the little hometown hardware and had some cut for (12x12) for
    a project we were working on. It might be something to check on if you live in an area with little hometown stores. Teresa

I had a bunch of sqs cut at my local hardware store, from 3" to 20" and it only cost me for the sheet. Pretty darn cheap and all cut to spec.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

We are almost 2 hours from the nearest Lowe's so I just go to our local glass shop. They are very reasonable and I have only had one that was just a slight off but still usable. Not bad since they have done about every size I can think of for me .

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I never even thought about Lowes! I go to the window glass shop in my town and it is always cheaper than buying a ruler. You don't get the measuring lines but most of the time, the cut I am getting is for a specific project and don't need them. I check the measurements at the store before I leave and have never had an issue with it being off.
    I probably wouldn't try to mark one of these off like a commercial ruler, but if you have a plain plastic one that was cut for you, just lightly score one side for the markings you want - it is easy to do on plastic, just put a straight edge down and run your box cutter down several times - lightly - to make an indentation. Then you can take a permanent marker - fine point - and run it down the scoring. Make sure to give it plenty of time to dry and then you will have a marked ruler. Use a scrap piece to practice first.

And Home Depot would probably cut these for you as well as Lowe's.
    Pat

I've also had odd shaped templates cut .... the first was an apple core!
    (and yes, I explain the importance of precision, and it's no problem)

I've always gone to a local glass shop. The price has been minimal!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    The Lowes here will cut squares or rectangles for me. Only some of the Home Depots will. Neither one will cut odd shapes. My brother cuts them for me on his band saw. Saves a lot of money. There is a template I wanted that was $35 my brother cut it out of a $3.98 piece of plexiglass. It is a template that would only be good for one particular quilt. I haven't tried the local glass shop for odd shapes.

Blog Entries
    Great news - thank you!
    SHIRLEY

Great idea! Have both a Lowe's and Home Depot near me and will remember this tip. Also, if you need to mark off the 1/4" from the edge, have you tried using the removable 1/4" tape? Some folks use this to mark the 1/4" on their sewing machine plates so they can see it easily. Maybe worth a try? Thanks again for this tip.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

When I want a specific 'ruler' cut, I make a paper template and take it with me to make sure the finished cut is right. First time the True-Value hardware guy did not compare the template with his finished cut--he was off on one side by 1/2". It was re-cut at no charge.
    I draw lines on the top of the new 'ruler' then score with a utility knife, I then fill in the scratch with a fine point permanent marker. Lines are visible and work for me. That is how I made all my Twister rulers and also made a 10" ruler for layer cake cuts. Put cabinet door cushions on them so they do not slide around and you are in business.
    Jan

Ladies have you ever thought to go to a glass company and ask for plexi glass templates. Some will cut them out of their scraps for nothing. I am lucky my brother owns a glass co and I work with a co that has a sheet metal shop and I have lots of templates in sheet metal and aluminun

I went to a hardware store and had them cut a piece of plexiglass (left over from whatever) to an exact 6x6 piece for 25 cents. It is exactly square and is great for a template because it is durable. I took the heavier plexiglass piece rather than the lighter one, it is more rigid. Try this before going to a big box store.

I had our local glass shop cut me a 3X3 that I used for a small twister quilt.
    Lorraine

Thanks for this tip.
    Now, I have a question---Is there anyway to save money on the mats for the Accuquilt Go?
    Bebe McGee

If you take in a template....say of a weirdly shaped piece, will they cut it from the template? I'm thinking of the arc piece in a New York Beauty......

Quote Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
    If you take in a template....say of a weirdly shaped piece, will they cut it from the template? I'm thinking of the arc piece in a New York Beauty......
    As mentioned in my earlier post, I had an applecore template made. It was actually the first one I had done. I just took in a photocopy of what I wanted and asked if he could do it, and emphasized the accuracy part! No problem he said with a smile!!! I had both the large and small applecores done while I was at it and they were smooth as can be around the edges and totally accurate! The small rotary cutter zips around them real slick.

Of course, some places will do it ... some will not!
    All you can do is ask ... and find out. If it's no, then just go on to another place.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast