Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Really cheap...cutting assistance..

Blog Entries
    This has been a great thread. Thank you ladies for all the information. I'm going to have to try this.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

My small locally owned hardware store will do this for me also.

I'm on my way to the store as we speak.
    Thank you.
    Happy Easter weekend...love this time of year with the great renewel.

what a graet idea, thanks for posting.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Thanks for the great tip!!!

A couple years ago I went to Lowes, picked out a piece of plexiglas 24" X 48", asked the young man if he would cut it into several strips and squares. He said yes, I gave him my list and got 10 pieces for about $8.00. I was a Happy Camper. Ruth

What department in Lowes?

we have a Local Hardware store that will cut plastic-it really does save $$

Blog Entries
    Most car window replacement shops has top quality pexi glass. The guy typed the dimensions on the keyboard and clicked start and the machine cut the pexi glass. Very accurate cuts. The one here charges a little more then Lowes but it's the same quality as the rulers in the quilt shops but no measuring lines.
    Got fabric?

Wonder if they could cut a 4 7/8" square precisely? Or even a 4 7/8" by 24" ruler? I know you can cut them larger and trim them down later, but that's extra work.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I never even thought about Lowes! I go to the window glass shop in my town and it is always cheaper than buying a ruler. You don't get the measuring lines but most of the time, the cut I am getting is for a specific project and don't need them. I check the measurements at the store before I leave and have never had an issue with it being off.
    That's where I go, too (they sell custom glass & mirrors). Not only have i had squares cut, but also tumblers & so other kinda weird shapes used for specific projects. It's cheap, it's accurate & it's easy. I'm for ALL of those things... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Any hardware

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
    Okay, several people have posted that they have had gone to the local Lowe's and had plastic rulers (squares, rectangles, etc.) cut for them. Did it today. I wanted a plastic 5"square (exactly) couldn't find one anywhere here in town so went to the window area and they had a 8 x 10 in two grades of plastic. The one (which would have worked) was 1.98, the next higher grade was 3.98. I went with that one. They did not charge me for cutting it and it and I got a perfect 5x5 square. So I had him cut a 4 x 4 and then had a 3 x 5 and 4 x 5 with a 1 x 4 left over. All for $3.98 - better than a coupon. If you needed an 8 x 10 - no cutting necessary and you can go to the next up at a 10 x 12 to get a 10 inch square with a 2 x 10 left over for 5.98. Just trying to keep us all saving a tad bit of money here and there. They can also cut 5 1/2" squares or 4 1/4 or 6 1/2 for not a lot of money.
    Your local hardware (Ace) here can do the same. Pretty soon I will have a perfect square for any size block. It sure makes the job easier. I have had to lightly sand the edge on one that was a little ruff, but otherwise perfect.
    Vicky

It sounds great but the Lowes here seems to have idiots working. I don't think I could trust them to be accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine433 View Post
    It sounds great but the Lowes here seems to have idiots working. I don't think I could trust them to be accurate.
    Measure it before you pay ... if not accurate, then no payment!
    What do you have to lose?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

My home depot wouldn't do it. Sold me a large piece and the tool for cutting
    Geri
    Schenectady, NY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
    Okay, several people have posted that they have had gone to the local Lowe's and had plastic rulers (squares, rectangles, etc.) cut for them. Did it today. I wanted a plastic 5"square (exactly) couldn't find one anywhere here in town so went to the window area and they had a 8 x 10 in two grades of plastic. The one (which would have worked) was 1.98, the next higher grade was 3.98. I went with that one. They did not charge me for cutting it and it and I got a perfect 5x5 square. So I had him cut a 4 x 4 and then had a 3 x 5 and 4 x 5 with a 1 x 4 left over. All for $3.98 - better than a coupon. If you needed an 8 x 10 - no cutting necessary and you can go to the next up at a 10 x 12 to get a 10 inch square with a 2 x 10 left over for 5.98. Just trying to keep us all saving a tad bit of money here and there. They can also cut 5 1/2" squares or 4 1/4 or 6 1/2 for not a lot of money.
    COOL!!!!! Love coupons, but I love deals toooooooo! I know what I will be getting next week, maybe DH will want to go too (he NEVER goes with me when I'm looking for sewing or quilting things). Thank you for sharing.

Thank you, QuiltE.....I took a template to a plastics cutting store and they wanted my arm and legs to cut it. I never thought of a glass shop. Thanks to all for this information.....

Quote Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
    Thank you, QuiltE.....I took a template to a plastics cutting store and they wanted my arm and legs to cut it. I never thought of a glass shop. Thanks to all for this information.....
    The glass shops have the same acrylic as our rulers, as they often install plexi into windows instead of glass.
    Of course, it depends on how cooperative they want to be!!
    The one I go to is a family run business with several employees. Though still small enough, that there's some personal touch to it.

My husband works at Lowes'. I hope you're not talking about that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimmis57 View Post
    My husband works at Lowes'. I hope you're not talking about that one!
    At least with you having an insider ... you should be able to get all the ones cut that you want!
    Better still ... go into business and sell them to others

Lowe's, here I come!
    Mazda

Will have to look into this. My sonj is Plant Manager of a glass company that makes windows.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the great hint, I have both Lowes and Home Depot close by. Several years ago we had a local glass shop and I had several sizes of squares cut for me and they used scrap and did not even charge me. I had no idea they were not going to charge when I put in my request, they just told me it would be done with scraps and the charge would be minimal, I guess that is what they consider minimal. Problem is they are no longer here as they were very accurate & the staff was very nice as well which is a great plus in my book.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Our Home Depot did not have the equipment to cut them for me, but they showed me how to score and snap them myself. I have had varying results with that, but probably with practice could do better. I plan to check out Lowe's the next time I have a need for a different size.

Measure before using

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    Now, measure them at home with a tape measure and make sure they are accurate! Reason..saw blades can move, and depending on where he cut, it could be off by a 1/8th or more!
    Yes, I had some cut and did not measure them when I got home. Started a quilt using them and my sizes were all off. Couldn't figure out why until I measured the square I had cut. So check in the store before you leave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast