Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   rearranging the old sewing space, again.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rearranging-old-sewing-space-again-t67924.html)

lots2do 10-02-2010 02:38 PM

Hi all!
Why is it that when I've been away from my sewing space/sewing projects and I find some time again, I have to rearrange my equipment/tools/some of the furniture instead of just diving in? It feels kind of like that nesting instinct when you are about to go into labor but at my age, it isn't that!
Anyone else experience this?
Just curious,
lots2do

luvTooQuilt 10-02-2010 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
Hi all!
Why is it that when I've been away from my sewing space/sewing projects and I find some time again, I have to rearrange my equipment/tools/some of the furniture instead of just diving in? It feels kind of like that nesting instinct when you are about to go into labor but at my age, it isn't that!
Anyone else experience this?
Just curious,
lots2do

Is your space not inviting?? sounds to me like you haven't found the perfect placement of everything that works for you..

lots2do 10-02-2010 02:50 PM

It is and it isn't, if that makes sense. I love the wall color and that I have everything I need and that it's all mine. BUT the stuff I have in there is not very well organized so that seems to be the biggest drawback. I started on it a little bit tonight and will keep plugging away at it.

luvTooQuilt 10-02-2010 03:02 PM

Sit in your chair.. Look around.. Find what flows and what doesn't.. Look to see what sections are easily accessible.. figure out what you need closest or use alot and make sure that has plenty of space..

You'll find it.. Hang in there..Its will come to ya..

annyroony2 10-02-2010 03:15 PM

I have been going through the same thing with my sewing room, just can't seem to get the feel I want in there. Makes me want to throw everything out and start over, but that isn't going to happen! Good luck with your rearranging.

DebbyT 10-02-2010 04:05 PM

I just got back my sewing room back after 4 years of taking care of the sick inlaws. Sister in law now cares for Pop. We lost Mum 2+ years ago. The room became a catch-all space while they were there and when Pop went to sister's place, we had to wait to be sure he wouldn't need to come back. This week I took the plunge and emptied it. What a chore. Now I have a new gracy quilting frame and a brother 1500s in there and in the process of deciding on shelving and cabinet options. After they moved in I aquired 2 new machines, embroidery thread and quite a stash with no real space for it all. I am still organizing it, but I can finally sit and sew without needing to set up. Now my wood room is another story - I do woodworking and DH likes to locate his junk there.

cathyvv 10-02-2010 04:24 PM

You're taking inventory!

featherweight 10-02-2010 04:26 PM

I love to go into my sewing room. I sometimes just go through a drawer or two. I guess I have to see what is there, Again! And I usually find something that I either forgot about or thought that I had lost.

cjaye44 10-02-2010 04:36 PM

I just can't seem to keep anything organized. Somehow my sewing table always attracts pieces of fabric and odds and ends. I sweep everything off to the floor until the cleaning bug hits. It stays neat for a while, then I start another project and back to that vicious circle.

Born2Sew 10-02-2010 04:43 PM

It's terrible! Sometimes I lay awake at night desparately trying to figure out a way to arrange everything. Fact is, I just don't have enough space. Of corse we won't say anything about the fact that I have 2 many machines. (We'll leave that out) Right now I'm trying hard to figure out exactly how to make a quilt for my Mom for Christmas, and keep her from seeing it. Since she lives with us, it won't be easy.

If I only had electricity in the cellar.....