Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: rearranging the old sewing space, again....

Hi all!
    Why is it that when I've been away from my sewing space/sewing projects and I find some time again, I have to rearrange my equipment/tools/some of the furniture instead of just diving in? It feels kind of like that nesting instinct when you are about to go into labor but at my age, it isn't that!
    Anyone else experience this?
    Just curious,
    lots2do

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    Hi all!
    Why is it that when I've been away from my sewing space/sewing projects and I find some time again, I have to rearrange my equipment/tools/some of the furniture instead of just diving in? It feels kind of like that nesting instinct when you are about to go into labor but at my age, it isn't that!
    Anyone else experience this?
    Just curious,
    lots2do
    Is your space not inviting?? sounds to me like you haven't found the perfect placement of everything that works for you..

It is and it isn't, if that makes sense. I love the wall color and that I have everything I need and that it's all mine. BUT the stuff I have in there is not very well organized so that seems to be the biggest drawback. I started on it a little bit tonight and will keep plugging away at it.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Sit in your chair.. Look around.. Find what flows and what doesn't.. Look to see what sections are easily accessible.. figure out what you need closest or use alot and make sure that has plenty of space..

You'll find it.. Hang in there..Its will come to ya..

I have been going through the same thing with my sewing room, just can't seem to get the feel I want in there. Makes me want to throw everything out and start over, but that isn't going to happen! Good luck with your rearranging.

I just got back my sewing room back after 4 years of taking care of the sick inlaws. Sister in law now cares for Pop. We lost Mum 2+ years ago. The room became a catch-all space while they were there and when Pop went to sister's place, we had to wait to be sure he wouldn't need to come back. This week I took the plunge and emptied it. What a chore. Now I have a new gracy quilting frame and a brother 1500s in there and in the process of deciding on shelving and cabinet options. After they moved in I aquired 2 new machines, embroidery thread and quite a stash with no real space for it all. I am still organizing it, but I can finally sit and sew without needing to set up. Now my wood room is another story - I do woodworking and DH likes to locate his junk there.

You're taking inventory!

I love to go into my sewing room. I sometimes just go through a drawer or two. I guess I have to see what is there, Again! And I usually find something that I either forgot about or thought that I had lost.

Blog Entries
    I just can't seem to keep anything organized. Somehow my sewing table always attracts pieces of fabric and odds and ends. I sweep everything off to the floor until the cleaning bug hits. It stays neat for a while, then I start another project and back to that vicious circle.

It's terrible! Sometimes I lay awake at night desparately trying to figure out a way to arrange everything. Fact is, I just don't have enough space. Of corse we won't say anything about the fact that I have 2 many machines. (We'll leave that out) Right now I'm trying hard to figure out exactly how to make a quilt for my Mom for Christmas, and keep her from seeing it. Since she lives with us, it won't be easy.

If I only had electricity in the cellar.....

It will come to you how you want your room. I think its the time of year, we are nesting, getting ready for winter! It already feels like its here in Michigan, lol.

Part of it, I've just realized is that I am adding a new function to the room. I took a workshop on painting on fabric with Jackie Paton last week and fell in love with the process. Ordered shiva paintstiks online and am waiting for them. So, now, I need a space to do this new-to-me process.
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one and I've got some new ideas to try out.
    Thanks!:)

I need a room stretcher. LOL! Constantly trying to fit everything into a 10'x10' space.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter41
    I need a room stretcher. LOL! Constantly trying to fit everything into a 10'x10' space.
    If you find that stretcher, PLEASE let me know. I could sure use one too!!!

I clean up as I do a project, learned that from being in a office for many years.

Blog Entries
    My problem is I want to be able to see everything I have. I don't like storing items in boxes or stuck in a drawer but it's a necessity at some point. I learned to label every box and drawer with exactly what's inside. That makes it so much easier to find or not forget what I have.

I prefer to see everything too. I went to a workshop once about different personalities at work and getting along and the presenter said that some of us need a nest to feel comfortable. I do like to see my stuff and have it pretty close at hand...:)