Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recession + gasoline = less fabric! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recession-gasoline-%3D-less-fabric-t124112.html)

sewhat540 05-21-2011 05:34 AM

Polly how does on put their picture here, was here but gone, so trying to put it back.

jpthequilter 05-21-2011 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by rona thickpenny
try looking up UK prices for fabric and gas and you will think you are in heavan. I am soo envious when I read about your yard sales, thrift shops etc. moan moan moan, sorry.

It is the same thing as a "jumble sale" and good ones where the buyer finds an old quilt or fabric are not really very common. I am not sure, but are there a lot of quilters in the UK?
That is why a lucky somebody who finds one here is so full of glee! I have once found some old quilts at church sales, but not in recent years.
JP

jpthequilter 05-21-2011 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by pjemark

try looking up UK prices for fabric and gas and you will think you are in heavan. I am soo envious when I read about your yard sales, thrift shops etc. moan moan moan, sorry.

You don't have yard sales and thrift shops in the U K? Just curious. My son just got back from being in egypt for a year and I love hearing the oddities and differences in other countries. Such as - they only had goats milk over there. He chugs down glasses and glasses of milk-says it's one of the things he missed the most!

Look for a goat farmer nearby...go and visit...they sometimes have fresh milk available.
Some/ most large chain grocery stores have soft creamy goats cheese in little plastic wrapped longish packages available.... Perhaps as a treat for him. He is right, it is delicious! jp

jpthequilter 05-21-2011 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by pjemark

You don't have yard sales and thrift shops in the U K? Just curious. My son just got back from being in egypt for a year and I love hearing the oddities and differences in other countries. Such as - they only had goats milk over there. He chugs down glasses and glasses of milk-says it's one of the things he missed the most!

Look for a goat farmer nearby...go and visit...they sometimes have fresh milk available.
Some/ most large chain grocery stores have soft creamy goats cheese in little plastic wrapped longish packages available.... Perhaps as a treat for him. He is right, it is delicious! jp

TonnieLoree 05-21-2011 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Summer Spice
We'er all in the same boat(the sinking one). I've quit going with our group to quilt shops because I can't stand to just look and I have more than enough. Someone said well you can go and look- No I can't!

I am right with you. I don't want to merely look; I want to buy. Ex-DH wanted to go window shopping once. I asked him "why". He said he was bored, but I really knew he wanted me to give him the "okay" so he could buy another useless tool that would sit around and never get used. I guess I'm just no fun. :lol: