Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Red snappers vs. Leadergrips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/red-snappers-vs-leadergrips-t160762.html)

valleyquiltermo 11-16-2011 08:16 PM

I just saw videos on both types a few days ago. I'm thinking I'll go with the red snappers.

amandasgramma 11-16-2011 08:33 PM

I just got the red snappers....and have them on the machine for the first time. I LOVE them!!! They're cheaper than the leadergrips. I saw the leadergrips at a class. She showed how to put them on. I thought they were rather flimsy....but now that I have the Red Snappers, which are bulkier, I'm wondering if I should have paid more.

Cathleen Colson 11-16-2011 08:47 PM

I have the red snappers. Love them! Cheaper than leader grips, easier to use. Bought the side clamps, too! Just did 3 quilts on the same back, just put one top after the other as I finished one. the red snapper held tight and square even though I did a lot of rolling back and forth.

Rose L 11-16-2011 09:36 PM

Mondo Clips

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy (Post 4469691)
i use mondo clips instead of red snappers - its alot cheaper

Thank you kindly for that tip. 10 - 41.5" rods/40" clamps = $34.99 Plus shipping. Not bad at all.

Scrappy Gram 11-17-2011 02:09 AM

You can get them at Amazon.com for $39.99 with free shipping - for my location this is a better deal since the shipping would be $15.
You can also buy the dowel screws at the hardware store to join them together.

ksdot417 11-28-2011 09:31 AM

I have the leader grips and absolutely love them. They are sturdy and easy to use. Talked to the guy that I bought my Avante from and he was so impressed he's going to start carrying them. One of my friends had the Mondo clips and after seeing my grips she went out and ordered them.

Yarn or Fabric 11-29-2011 03:56 AM

The difference with the Mondo clips and the Red Snappers is the dowel part that goes with it. The Red Snappers has a flexible dowel. The clips do not. Also - the RS's dowels are sized a little smaller to take in account for the fabric where the Mondos do not since they're designed for chip bags and whatnot.

I did get the Snappers but haven't put them on yet. I know, I should be smacked. Once I move in to my new quilting room I am going to do all the things that I have put off for so long. It will be like getting a whole new room to play with :D

hobo2000 11-29-2011 05:17 AM

These certainly looks easier than zippers. I do not like basting fabric on the LA and then ripping it out. What a pain!

arkansasquilter123 11-29-2011 05:24 AM

I have the red snappers and love them. I also have Renae's side clamps and really like them a lot. I've used several different side clamps, and these are my favorite. (quiltsonthecorner.com).

dunster 11-29-2011 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy (Post 4469691)
i use mondo clips instead of red snappers - its alot cheaper

I also purchased the mondo clips, but they are just not sized right for me. The hand strength required to get them on and off was too much, and I don't normally have any problems with strength in my hands. My husband even has me open jars for him! I finally bought the red snappers and I love them. As far as I can see, the only real difference between the two is that the rod for the snappers is a little smaller. This means there is room for the canvas of the leader and the fabric of the quilt back to go in when you snap on the clamp.

I also purchased the red-e-edge for adding tension to the sides of the quilt, and that works much better than any other system I've tried.