Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Red snappers vs. Leadergrips

Which do you prefer the Red Snappers or the Leadergrips? They look like the same thing to me, could someone please tell me the difference I am looking for some possibly. I have the Imperial Grace frame.

Blog Entries
    I agree they do look the same, but I am not familiar with the Leader Grippers. I have the Red Snappers and absolutely love them. Between the MS and Arthritis, my hands and fingers seem to have a mind of their own most days and the Red Snappers are invaluable to me.

i use mondo clips instead of red snappers - its alot cheaper

Blog Entries
    i only dream of the day when i have a machine big enough to actually need grips that bit :)

I just got my Red Snappers and will put them on my frame today. I can't wait to try them out!

I have the red snappers also. I have only had them about a month, but BOY do they make a difference! LOVE them. I looked at the youtube video of the Leader grips. It looks like the same method, but they look smaller (like in diameter) than the red snappers. The red snapper dowel is flexible and you screw them together. I'm wondering what the price difference is? I didn't check the leader grips, but I think I paid around $70 for a 12 for frame for my snappers.

I was a quilt show a couple weeks ago and I got to try both Red snappers and Leadergrips.

The red snappers were a little bit cheaper then the leadergrips, and I couldn't get leadergrips to fit my table. They only had ones for the 12ft tables and I have a 14ft. So I bought the red snappers.

Quote Originally Posted by soccertxi
    I have the red snappers also. I have only had them about a month, but BOY do they make a difference! LOVE them. I looked at the youtube video of the Leader grips. It looks like the same method, but they look smaller (like in diameter) than the red snappers. The red snapper dowel is flexible and you screw them together. I'm wondering what the price difference is? I didn't check the leader grips, but I think I paid around $70 for a 12 for frame for my snappers.
    At the show I just went to leadergrips were $80 no matter what size you bought.

The red snappers are made by the same company as the mondo clips.

I bought the red snappers. I like that they screw together. You can slide them in in sections, screwing them together while you go. The person who created them also has some nice side clamps too. I have RA so I need something easier than pins.

I just saw videos on both types a few days ago. I'm thinking I'll go with the red snappers.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

I just got the red snappers....and have them on the machine for the first time. I LOVE them!!! They're cheaper than the leadergrips. I saw the leadergrips at a class. She showed how to put them on. I thought they were rather flimsy....but now that I have the Red Snappers, which are bulkier, I'm wondering if I should have paid more.
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

I have the red snappers. Love them! Cheaper than leader grips, easier to use. Bought the side clamps, too! Just did 3 quilts on the same back, just put one top after the other as I finished one. the red snapper held tight and square even though I did a lot of rolling back and forth.

Blog Entries

Mondo Clips

Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy View Post
    Thank you kindly for that tip. 10 - 41.5" rods/40" clamps = $34.99 Plus shipping. Not bad at all.
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

You can get them at Amazon.com for $39.99 with free shipping - for my location this is a better deal since the shipping would be $15.
    You can also buy the dowel screws at the hardware store to join them together.

I have the leader grips and absolutely love them. They are sturdy and easy to use. Talked to the guy that I bought my Avante from and he was so impressed he's going to start carrying them. One of my friends had the Mondo clips and after seeing my grips she went out and ordered them.

The difference with the Mondo clips and the Red Snappers is the dowel part that goes with it. The Red Snappers has a flexible dowel. The clips do not. Also - the RS's dowels are sized a little smaller to take in account for the fabric where the Mondos do not since they're designed for chip bags and whatnot.

I did get the Snappers but haven't put them on yet. I know, I should be smacked. Once I move in to my new quilting room I am going to do all the things that I have put off for so long. It will be like getting a whole new room to play with

Blog Entries
    These certainly looks easier than zippers. I do not like basting fabric on the LA and then ripping it out. What a pain!

I have the red snappers and love them. I also have Renae's side clamps and really like them a lot. I've used several different side clamps, and these are my favorite. (quiltsonthecorner.com).

Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy View Post
    I also purchased the mondo clips, but they are just not sized right for me. The hand strength required to get them on and off was too much, and I don't normally have any problems with strength in my hands. My husband even has me open jars for him! I finally bought the red snappers and I love them. As far as I can see, the only real difference between the two is that the rod for the snappers is a little smaller. This means there is room for the canvas of the leader and the fabric of the quilt back to go in when you snap on the clamp.

I also purchased the red-e-edge for adding tension to the sides of the quilt, and that works much better than any other system I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000 View Post
    These certainly looks easier than zippers. I do not like basting fabric on the LA and then ripping it out. What a pain!
    Instead of basting and then ripping, you could baste with water soluble thread and then just spritz it away. I did that (with velcro instead of zippers) until I got the Red Snappers. I use Superior Thread's Vanish brand of thread for that and often for stabilizing the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for all the comments about the Red Snappers - I am relatively new to longarm quilting and have been looking at them - I absolutely hate the pinning process - I keep sticking my fingers with the pins and it's hard to get them into the canvas leaders.

Now, I am going to look at the side clamps too - I don't really like the ones that came with my machine.

For the side clamps I like the long ones...it keeps more of the quilt stabilized at the same time...or you could buy two sets of the smaller size for each side. I have 12's which I purchased first and then moved to 18's which I now use all the time.
    The Potomac Quilter
    Innova 26 with Lightning Stitch and Autopilot

I bought my red snappers before my machine even got here. I love them - it is the only system I ever learned, but I knew I hated pinning and going thru that stiff leader!!!!? I love the side clamps that Renae carries. It makes more sense to have a wider piece of the side held firm evenly.
    Judi in Ohio

I have Leadergrips, and love them! I have a 14 ft. table, too.