Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reduction (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reduction-t312871.html)

lindaschipper 10-23-2020 04:02 AM

Reduction

Forgive me for asking if this has been addressed before, but I don't read the blog every day. Looked at the sale add for Hobby Lobby this week and noticed they are now offering fabric at a 25% reduction....it use to be 30%. Is this a recent change or has this been going on for a while. I've been trying to use my stash and have not been there in months to shop for new fabric.

grannie cheechee 10-23-2020 04:15 AM

I was at Hobby

I was at Hobby Lobby last week, and it is 25% off fabric. When the stores had to close due to the virus, and reopened they didn't offer the 30% anymore. You could use the 40% off one cut of fabric. I guess we are lucky we can get 25%. Where in Davenport is a Hobby Lobby?

patricej 10-23-2020 08:37 AM

our Hobby Lobby stopped the every-day 30% discount long before COVID was even "a thing."
i haven't bought any fabric there since.

i don't question friends who still shop there with a 40% coupon; it's up to each person to decide.

a 30% instant and permanent jump in price was just too much for me to tolerate.

lindaschipper 10-23-2020 10:15 AM

Our Hobby Lobby is on the Northeast side of town...on Elmore St. in the Walmart shopping center plaza.

juliasb 10-23-2020 11:37 AM

Our Hobby Lobby stopped the practice shortly after last Christmas.

Jordan 10-24-2020 07:15 AM

We just got a new Hobby Lobby in our town and I have only been there once but the fabric selection was very minimal. However, they were still stocking shelves as I was browsing thru.

grannie cheechee 10-24-2020 09:09 AM

Thanks, Lindaschipper, I have family in Davenport, and I can have them go to Hobby Lobby and we can pick fabric together for their quilts.

Peckish 10-25-2020 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 8426958)
a 30% instant and permanent jump in price was just too much for me to tolerate.

I have long been puzzled and annoyed by the craft store pricing model. I worked at a small regional craft chain similar to Joann's or Michael's, the only difference being that that they carried lqs-quality fabrics. Brand new product would come in and we were to price it with a regular white-tag price, then again with a "sale" orange-tag price. We did this with 95% of the product we carried. To me, that felt like they were marking up the pricing to mark it down again so you'd feel better about paying the so-called "sale" price. And if you had a coupon, it was only good for the white-tag price. You don't see this pricing model in any other industry.

It would be interesting to know how your HL prices compared to other local stores regular prices, Patrice. When I checked, the orange-tag fabric prices at my craft store were just slightly lower than regular prices at other fabric/quilt stores.

quilting cat 10-25-2020 01:56 PM

A good reason to comparison shop! Too bad there are fewer and fewer places even carrying fabric.

Onebyone 10-25-2020 02:13 PM

I was in Hobby Lobby this last week. All fabric was 50% off. I bought a bolt of muslin and got the 50% off.