Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Redwork question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/redwork-question-t216396.html)

KLO 03-15-2013 04:31 AM

I'm a little late to the game but here is my two cents. I am working on Winter Wonderland by Crabapple Hill at the moment. I went with muslin for the backing and basted it on just as others have mentioned. However, I have a very talented and prolific quilting friend and she made a smallish snowmen wallhanging. She used something called Sticky Fabri-Solvy which is "printable". She printed her pattern on the solvy, stuck that to her fabric, then stitched through it all. Afterwards, she rinsed the slovy off and was left with just the fabric piece. It turned out great. I did not see any knots or long threads where she carry them over. If I were to start a new piece, this is what I would use now too. Take that all for what it's worth.

sewincircles 03-15-2013 04:44 AM

I would use the Pellon Featherweight fusible.

Donnamarie 03-15-2013 05:44 AM

I just love to embroider and make a lot of redwork patterns. At first I started with muslin on the back but now I just buy the thinnest white flannel and use that. It works out great, love to use it and it hides all those threads in the back. I don't think I would use any type of iron on stabilizer. It might make the needle hard to go thru the fabric.

watson's mom 03-15-2013 06:39 AM

One of the ladies in our guild teaches redwork and her own work is beautiful. I asked her about putting some kind of backing on and she said the back should look almost as good as the front and she never uses knots. She has won several awards for her work and still uses no backing. Just my two cents worth.

thimblebug6000 03-15-2013 07:40 AM

When our group did the Winter Wonderland embroidered project, a couple ladies used the fusible, I chose to baste muslin to the backs of mine. A word of caution, if you choose to iron fusible, you need to do it BEFORE you trace with a wash away marker or you will set the ink. ALSO one of the ladies used an iron that was too hot, her project had the bubbles that come up from the glue if it's too hot. I do hand embroidery with or without a backing, depending on how I feel at the moment. My latest project, I've basted some warm'n natural to the blocks.

fxsts93kf 03-15-2013 01:04 PM

Thank you all again for so much help! I would love to use the flannel but I don't know if I can get it in pure white and that's what it would have to be, so it's going to either be muslin or the fusible interfacing thanks for clearing up that mistake!!). The big thing is I have to hide the threads on the back so whatever will work to do that is what I'm going to use. I guess it's time to get out the embroidery book I bought a few years ago too! Again, my thanks to all!!

Thimblebug6000 - good to know about the heat on the iron cause mine is HOT!

Gladygirl 03-15-2013 03:16 PM

I would like to know where all of you find the redwork patterns that you use if anyone cares to divulge your sources.
Thanks. Gladys

lots2do 03-15-2013 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 5929088)
I do lots of hand embroidery. Just finished a baby quilt from Rabbits Haven Patterns. I always use Quilters Dream behind my embroideries. Its very light weight, needles like butter, and when my top is done, the LA lady who does my quilting just puts the batting and backing together and quilts it like any other top.

This sounds like a great idea. Will have to try it.

fxsts93kf 03-15-2013 04:54 PM

Crabapple Hill has some nice patterns. The one I'm working on is Jolly Old Santa Table Runner by Pattern Press. I just Googled embroidery and redwork patterns and quite a few came up.

Traditional Quilter 03-15-2013 06:16 PM

My redwork quilt pattern is from Crabapple Hill. They have great embroidery patterns.