Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Redwork question

Redwork question

This is my first time doing redwork though I have done little bits of hand embroidery here and there in the past before. My question is this, the pattern calls for Pellon fusible (very light weight) but doesn't say which one. Are they talking about Wonder Under? I've used Wonder Under before.

I have HeatnBond Lite Iron on adhesive by Therm O Web . It was given to me and I've never used it but from the directions it sounds like it might work. I don't have much extra fabric so before I iron anything on to it I would really like to make sure I'm going to be able to hand stitch through it.

Any help would be truly appreciated!! Kelly
    Kelly

This isn't an exact answer to your question, but I recently embroidered a Halloween sampler. The pattern had you put a layer of muslin, cut same size, behind the piece as it was worked. It helps to hide thread tails and traveling thread when the piece is completed. It turned out very nicely.
    I did baste the 2 pieces through the center and around the outside. You could baste more if the piece is very large.
    kathyd

You can use a really this batting instead of the fusible pellon. Like Kathyd I basted it to the embroidery fabric.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

Power Poster
    Are you planning to fuse the Redwork to something? If so you could use Wonderunder after it is done. If they recommend using a light wight fusible on the back of the fabric to stitch through, I don't have a recommendation because I don't use it. As long as the base fabric is good quality I do my Redwork directly on it with no backing. Maybe someone else who uses a backing will recommend a brand.

Blog Entries
    Are you to use the fusible BEFORE the stitching? I usually add the fusible when the stitching is done. Unless, it's used for a stabilizer while you are stitching? Then use the lightest weight, I would think.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I just finished a redwork top that measured about 48 x 48 and I, like kathyd, used muslin to back the blocks. I basted around the redwork and the edges to keep it smooth. A local quilt shop has a material they sell for backing redwork although I don't recall what the name is but it feels like flannel. The lady in the shop said I could use flannel instead. However, since muslin was less expensive I chose that. I'm not an expert in redwork, but it seems to me that any fusible no matter what weight would make it stiff and make the needle sticky. The whole idea is to use something to hide traveling threads and knots, which according to the redwork police you aren't suppose to make knots, but I haven't figured out how to keep the thread from coming loose if I don't make a knot -- so I make knots. If it were me, I would find some inexpensive muslin the same color as your background fabric instead of any fusible product.

Some redwork patterns do recommend a fusible interfacing as a stabilizer. You might want to buy a little and try it out on a piece of scrap fabric to see how you like the feel. I am experimenting, myself. Go to the Pellon bolts at Joann's or wherever. Look for a lightweight woven interfacing without a lot of the glue dots on the back...the very lightest you can find. I found some Face-it Soft Fusible by Sew Lazy that I'm going to try at a LQS. You can also try the muslin idea or a thin flannel.
    Last edited by lots2do; 03-14-2013 at 04:55 PM.

It doesn't make your needle sticky at all but it does make your fabric feel kind of rubbery, which only makes sense since you are ironing plastic to it, I suppose. Some people swear by using it and some don't care for it. I'd love to know what the flannel like material is that the LQS recommends.

Are you doing hand embroidery?
    Quote Originally Posted by fxsts93kf View Post
    This is my first time doing redwork though I have done little bits of hand embroidery here and there in the past before. My question is this, the pattern calls for Pellon fusible (very light weight) but doesn't say which one. Are they talking about Wonder Under? I've used Wonder Under before.

I have HeatnBond Lite Iron on adhesive by Therm O Web . It was given to me and I've never used it but from the directions it sounds like it might work. I don't have much extra fabric so before I iron anything on to it I would really like to make sure I'm going to be able to hand stitch through it.

Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I am doing my first Redwork hand embroidery. How I wish I had read this before starting. I did not know about backing my fabric. I have worked so hard so that no threads would show. With a backing fabric, the embroidery would have been so much easier. Thanks!

I always use flannel for mine when I am doing any redwork or embroidery. It helps to hide the floss. IMO, the fusible would make it so stiff.

Thanks for everyone jumping in here with all the advice! The pattern is telling me to iron it to the fabric before I do my embroidery. The fabric is pretty much snow white so having a backing will certainly help hide the threads. In what little bit of embroidery I've done I've also had a hard time not using knots to anchor my thread. The HeatnBond Lite says you can sew through it with no sticky residue but it just feels a little too stiff for my liking.

This is a table runner that is going to have batting also. I would attach a link but I'm not sure how. The pattern is Jolly Old Santa Table Runner by Pattern Press.
    Kelly

Flannel sounds like a great idea but since the fabric I'm using is so white I'm thinking muslin might end up being the way to go. Ironing fusible on is just soooo easy though!
    Kelly

I do lots of hand embroidery. Just finished a baby quilt from Rabbits Haven Patterns. I always use Quilters Dream behind my embroideries. Its very light weight, needles like butter, and when my top is done, the LA lady who does my quilting just puts the batting and backing together and quilts it like any other top.

Quote Originally Posted by fxsts93kf View Post

Wonder Under and Heat n Bond are fusible webs. They're for attaching one piece of fabric to another either with or without stitching.

They're probably talking about a lightweight fusible interfacing. An interfacing is left in to give the fabric body or stiffen it depending on the weight of the interfacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    I do lots of hand embroidery. Just finished a baby quilt from Rabbits Haven Patterns. I always use Quilters Dream behind my embroideries. Its very light weight, needles like butter, and when my top is done, the LA lady who does my quilting just puts the batting and backing together and quilts it like any other top.
    Jackie. what kind of Quilter's Dream do you use? Do you cut it the same size as the entire embroidered block? Would it work on something like this? http://www.crabapplehillstudio.com/o...the-woods.html
    This is the embroidered quilt I always have wanted to make. The designer recommends the muslin backing.
    I'm so glad that I saw this thread. Didn't know any of this.
    Laura

There's always the next time!

Blog Entries
    they are refering to LIGHTWEIGHT INTERFACING not fusable web (like wonderunder) the interfacing stablizes the block and keeps threads on the back from showing through on the top
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Kelly, I always back mine with flannel which is well washed and shrunk (old sheets and pillowcases from yard sales is my "supplier"). When I then quilt it gives the embroidery extra puffy look. I've tried the fusible and wasn't happy and with the handling, the fusible came loose on the edges of the block. All in all, not satisfied. Muslin is also excellent, but make sure you've washed and shrunk it first and then just hand baste it to the top fabric.

I did a redwork quilt several years back and didn't know to back it. I used a white-on-white for the background. It has hung on my kitchen wall for about 7 years after being quilted with warm-n-??? (CRS). I have not witnessed any problem with knots showing through or any other problem. I guess this proves ignorance is bliss?? 8^))
    Laurie in NYC

KLO
    Blog Entries
    I'm a little late to the game but here is my two cents. I am working on Winter Wonderland by Crabapple Hill at the moment. I went with muslin for the backing and basted it on just as others have mentioned. However, I have a very talented and prolific quilting friend and she made a smallish snowmen wallhanging. She used something called Sticky Fabri-Solvy which is "printable". She printed her pattern on the solvy, stuck that to her fabric, then stitched through it all. Afterwards, she rinsed the slovy off and was left with just the fabric piece. It turned out great. I did not see any knots or long threads where she carry them over. If I were to start a new piece, this is what I would use now too. Take that all for what it's worth.

Banned
    I would use the Pellon Featherweight fusible.

I just love to embroider and make a lot of redwork patterns. At first I started with muslin on the back but now I just buy the thinnest white flannel and use that. It works out great, love to use it and it hides all those threads in the back. I don't think I would use any type of iron on stabilizer. It might make the needle hard to go thru the fabric.

One of the ladies in our guild teaches redwork and her own work is beautiful. I asked her about putting some kind of backing on and she said the back should look almost as good as the front and she never uses knots. She has won several awards for her work and still uses no backing. Just my two cents worth.

When our group did the Winter Wonderland embroidered project, a couple ladies used the fusible, I chose to baste muslin to the backs of mine. A word of caution, if you choose to iron fusible, you need to do it BEFORE you trace with a wash away marker or you will set the ink. ALSO one of the ladies used an iron that was too hot, her project had the bubbles that come up from the glue if it's too hot. I do hand embroidery with or without a backing, depending on how I feel at the moment. My latest project, I've basted some warm'n natural to the blocks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast