Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Refurbished" Quilt - Thrift Store Find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/refurbished-quilt-thrift-store-find-t215338.html)

carolaug 03-03-2013 09:39 AM

I have bought some of my quilts to goodwill...some that I have used and replaced with others that I have made...I am glad that someone else will beable to enjoy it. Seeing quilts in the thrift shops are not bad...I have not seen many over the years.

Stitchnripper 03-03-2013 09:56 AM

I too agree with the posters who aren't horrified. Maybe the donated quilts will have another well-loved life after their original purpose. Maybe there are reasons why they aren't kept. I read here a lot about using quality fabrics and thread so the quilt will last as forever as possible. I don't consider that with my quilts and figure they are going to end up in a Good Will or some other place one day. Similarly, I always see old family photos in estate sales and antique/flea market places. What's up with that? Probably for some of the same reasons the quilts end up there too.

hperttula123 03-03-2013 10:21 AM

That's great that you found one that is easily fixed. I have made many quilts for my kids and some they don't use much. I've passed the older ones that we didn't particularly like to my old daycare and others to the local thrift shop. That way someone can use them. The daycare thought it was the greatest. She still has the quilts and uses them all the time. I will continue to make quilts and pass on the ones we no longer want. Our tastes change and I never have an issue making my kids any kind of quilt they want. I do have certain ones that I have stored away from when they were babies(but they were made by other people) so I can give them to each kid when they are older or they have their own children.

justflyingin 03-03-2013 12:19 PM

I'm not horrified either. Neither do I think tying is all that bad. I've given away myriads of quilts that were/are tied. Since there was a stain or two, the owner probably did use it. The pattern isn't particularly compelling to me and if I were the mom who was given the quilt and then no longer wanted it, I'd probably also just donate it.

I've seen my kids' old baby quilts on another clothes line--as I donated it to poor people around me. It made me feel good.

Good find. Glad you are happy about it. I'd probably just leave it as is and try to get the stains out and then donate it again since I have no use for baby quilts anymore. My youngest is 15.

GrannieAnnie 03-03-2013 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin (Post 5901512)
I'm not horrified either. Neither do I think tying is all that bad. I've given away myriads of quilts that were/are tied. Since there was a stain or two, the owner probably did use it. The pattern isn't particularly compelling to me and if I were the mom who was given the quilt and then no longer wanted it, I'd probably also just donate it.

I've seen my kids' old baby quilts on another clothes line--as I donated it to poor people around me. It made me feel good.

Good find. Glad you are happy about it. I'd probably just leave it as is and try to get the stains out and then donate it again since I have no use for baby quilts anymore. My youngest is 15.

I don't quilt. My big things go to a long armer and smaller get tacked. Or my new love---------------QAYG rag quilts

Suzi 03-03-2013 02:03 PM

Have found several ----- got them washed/dried and then either repaired if damage was small or tore them apart and made a totally new quilt. Sure saves from having to buy fabric (expensive) and satisfies my sewing craving.

craftygal63 03-03-2013 06:24 PM

I have found baby bed sets (made by me as gifts) in thrift stores and purchased them and donated to shelters. Also, I have found crochet afgans made by aunt for the Linus project, most of those Have been redistributed among family members.

MaryMo 03-03-2013 06:40 PM

I bought a baby quilt the other day at a thrift shop for $.50 - discounted and nearing the end of its life at the thrift store .... that's when I usually rescue handmade quilts. I've rarely paid more than $5 for thrift store and garage sale quilts because I give everybody else the opportunity first ... and I'm cheap. If they're in poor condition, I remake them into other things, usually teddy bears for charity. I would hate to see them become rags or worse.

cathyvv 03-03-2013 06:48 PM

I did it once. The quilt was too cute to pass up. I had to remove all the quilting and remove the borders because the borders were cut too short. The quilt bowled in the middle because of that. I also had to replace the backing because I put a few holes in it with my seam ripper. Then I added batting, sandwiched it and quilted it.

It took a long time and a lot of work. I probably won't do it again, but it was fun to resurrect it from the junk heap.

lpsewing 03-03-2013 07:07 PM

What a cute find.
How nice to know your going to make the needed repaires & graciously donate !