Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: "Refurbished" Quilt - Thrift Store Find

"Refurbished" Quilt - Thrift Store Find

I was horrified to find this adorable hand-made baby quilt at a thrift store for $5 and I rescued it. I'm going to remove all the ties, take off the bindings and replace the one or two blocks with stains, then quilt and bind it properly so I can donate it. Anyone else find projects like this?

Name:  2013-03-02 21.41.46sm.jpg
Views: 4753
Size:  548.6 KB

Found a totally unused one at goodwill store and bought for $10.00! It was for double bed and hand done. Donated it to local shelter.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

I have not been able to find any but would love to.

Makes me sad to think of how little value or importance a fellow quilters work (and love) was given -- it was probably a mother who felt it didn't 'go' with the decor in a baby's room....

How wonderful that you rescued this adorable quilt and will be fixing it up to donate it. I have found only one but I certainly keep my eyes open for others. The one I found was very ragged, but there was enough decent portions for me to make a 30 inch teddy bear for a toddler I knew. She is now 23 and still has that bear. I did not even know how to quilt when I made the bear, but I loved quilts.

Wonder if the baby has fond memories of this quilt. I know my kids loved their "blankees", some are put away for their first borns.

Blog Entries
    i don't understand the (horror) or the saddness refered to when a quilt is (found & rescued) from a thrift store...do we not (donate) quilts all the time? do quilts not deserve to be passed on/shared with others who may not be able to afford them new- or know anyone who quilts and lovingly gifts them one?
    i hope some of the quilts i have made & gifted over the years are (donated/passed on) when they are no longer needed/wanted by whom ever i gave them to in the first place---seems like a much better outcome than a landfill or just left in the bottom of a closet to rot away....i would much rather find them being shared.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I agree with ckcowl. I don't think that I'm throwing something away when I give it to a thrift store. Instead, I hope that someone else will be able to use it until it's all used up, or perhaps they will eventually pass it on to someone else. You (Kaelyn) have done just that, and have even taken the additional step of restoring the item to a better condition before passing it on. What more could any quilter want to have happen with her quilts?

Quilt and bind properly??? Looks good to me for a $5 quilt!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

The elephant fabric in your found quilt looks like a recent design, so the quilt couldn't have been that old before it was discarded. I once found two identical "house" quilts in different colorways for only $2.50 each at a thrift shop. They looked like samples from a quilt class - never used, never washed. I snapped them up so fast because I've always wanted to make a house quilt and just thought they are so complicated.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    I have bought some of my quilts to goodwill...some that I have used and replaced with others that I have made...I am glad that someone else will beable to enjoy it. Seeing quilts in the thrift shops are not bad...I have not seen many over the years.

I too agree with the posters who aren't horrified. Maybe the donated quilts will have another well-loved life after their original purpose. Maybe there are reasons why they aren't kept. I read here a lot about using quality fabrics and thread so the quilt will last as forever as possible. I don't consider that with my quilts and figure they are going to end up in a Good Will or some other place one day. Similarly, I always see old family photos in estate sales and antique/flea market places. What's up with that? Probably for some of the same reasons the quilts end up there too.

That's great that you found one that is easily fixed. I have made many quilts for my kids and some they don't use much. I've passed the older ones that we didn't particularly like to my old daycare and others to the local thrift shop. That way someone can use them. The daycare thought it was the greatest. She still has the quilts and uses them all the time. I will continue to make quilts and pass on the ones we no longer want. Our tastes change and I never have an issue making my kids any kind of quilt they want. I do have certain ones that I have stored away from when they were babies(but they were made by other people) so I can give them to each kid when they are older or they have their own children.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

I'm not horrified either. Neither do I think tying is all that bad. I've given away myriads of quilts that were/are tied. Since there was a stain or two, the owner probably did use it. The pattern isn't particularly compelling to me and if I were the mom who was given the quilt and then no longer wanted it, I'd probably also just donate it.

I've seen my kids' old baby quilts on another clothes line--as I donated it to poor people around me. It made me feel good.

Good find. Glad you are happy about it. I'd probably just leave it as is and try to get the stains out and then donate it again since I have no use for baby quilts anymore. My youngest is 15.

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    I'm not horrified either. Neither do I think tying is all that bad. I've given away myriads of quilts that were/are tied. Since there was a stain or two, the owner probably did use it. The pattern isn't particularly compelling to me and if I were the mom who was given the quilt and then no longer wanted it, I'd probably also just donate it.

I've seen my kids' old baby quilts on another clothes line--as I donated it to poor people around me. It made me feel good.

Good find. Glad you are happy about it. I'd probably just leave it as is and try to get the stains out and then donate it again since I have no use for baby quilts anymore. My youngest is 15.

I don't quilt. My big things go to a long armer and smaller get tacked. Or my new love---------------QAYG rag quilts
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Have found several ----- got them washed/dried and then either repaired if damage was small or tore them apart and made a totally new quilt. Sure saves from having to buy fabric (expensive) and satisfies my sewing craving.
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

I have found baby bed sets (made by me as gifts) in thrift stores and purchased them and donated to shelters. Also, I have found crochet afgans made by aunt for the Linus project, most of those Have been redistributed among family members.

I bought a baby quilt the other day at a thrift shop for $.50 - discounted and nearing the end of its life at the thrift store .... that's when I usually rescue handmade quilts. I've rarely paid more than $5 for thrift store and garage sale quilts because I give everybody else the opportunity first ... and I'm cheap. If they're in poor condition, I remake them into other things, usually teddy bears for charity. I would hate to see them become rags or worse.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

I did it once. The quilt was too cute to pass up. I had to remove all the quilting and remove the borders because the borders were cut too short. The quilt bowled in the middle because of that. I also had to replace the backing because I put a few holes in it with my seam ripper. Then I added batting, sandwiched it and quilted it.

It took a long time and a lot of work. I probably won't do it again, but it was fun to resurrect it from the junk heap.

What a cute find.
    How nice to know your going to make the needed repaires & graciously donate !
    lp

I found a double sized wedding ring quilt, hand sewn in a thrift shop near me. It happened to be half off day, and I got it for $2.50! I was so thrilled. It is in pretty good shape, we (gently) use it! I do need to re tuck some seams though! the background is white, it is very pretty.

One time I found one in the back of a pick up truck. I gave them a blanket in exchange for it and I love it. These are turtles and reminds me of my MIL who loved and collected them.

Name:  Turtle quilt.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  128.9 KB
    Last edited by twinkie; 03-04-2013 at 03:58 AM.

what are the odds that you'd have something to trade?! And why in the world would this cuteness have been in the *back* of their truck?! wow . .

good for you!! it is cute!

I found an old quilt at a thrift store years ago that was frayed and tattered but was interesting to me. I took it to a quilt guild meeting where we had a member who was a quilt appraiser. She told me that it dated from the 1850's and in its current condition it was valued at about $750.00! I sold it several years ago for that amount to help pay for my long arm machine.

One never knows the story as to why things end up at Goodwill. Great save. I received a beautiful Bible from my son one Christmas. He had found it at the Goodwill and felt it just didn't belong there. Interestingly, it had so many notations and intensely underlined passages that we made up a story of who might have owned it and what may have been going on in her life. So keep rescuing, whether it be quilts or Bibles!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast