Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Requesting help. No pattern! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/requesting-help-no-pattern-t184086.html)

faykilgore 03-26-2012 05:22 PM

Requesting help. No pattern!

2 Attachment(s)
Found this really cute children's panel, novelty print, matching polka dots and decided it would make the perfect quilt for a new baby girl in the family. Didn't have a pattern, or really much of a plan, which is becoming evident. I usually follow patterns. The panel is 15 X 36 with the piano keys. I've created 3 different 6" blocks and was thinking 3 mixed rows above and below the panel, then finish with the piano key effect set vertically at the top and bottom. I'm not sure how much blue to include. I also have a matching balloon print for the back that could be used in small amounts on the front, but not sure where or how. Originally I was going to use two panels with the children marching right on one panel and left on the other and put the little 6" blocks between them somehow. Anyway, any suggestions from all the creative minds on this board will be appreciated.

retrogirl02 03-26-2012 05:29 PM

CUTE!! love the polka dots you coordinated with the panel prints.

mighty 03-26-2012 06:55 PM

I think it looks great! so cute!

jaciqltznok 03-26-2012 07:11 PM

I love how you show it in the top pix!

earthwalker 03-26-2012 07:16 PM

Looks fantastic (great fabric choices). Love how you have made the mixed blocks for top and bottom...This is going to be an absolute beauty.

Val in IN 03-26-2012 07:20 PM

I think you're doing great! It's going to be wonderful!!

Valerie S 03-26-2012 07:25 PM

Your layout looks great. I would finish with blue border the same size as your horizontal sashing and finish with matching blue binding. Love the panel.

Val

QuiltingCrazie 03-27-2012 01:48 AM

I'm a box thinker which means I'm all about even. I would alternate a row of the blocks, the panel, row of blocks, panel, then another row of blocks. but I'd have to see it layed out. try taking a picture of a few layouts you'd be surprised at the difference it makes on what you see. I have seen quilts where they took panels and off set the blocks going beside the panel pieces. Like you have your marching piece then you take your row of blocks and stack them vertical on the right side and a couple traveling under the marching block. The open space to the left you fill with a coordinating fabric. The do the opposite with the next marching piece stack blocks vertical to the left traveling around the bottom and use a filler for the open space. It still comes out evenly done. Hopefully I was clear....good luck and great job love the fabric combinations.

roadrunr 03-27-2012 05:43 AM

You're doing a good job so far! If you want to make it wider, you could add a border of blue between the panel and het piano keyboard border.

3TreeFrog 03-27-2012 07:04 AM

Fay

I love it! You did a GREAT job!

TreeFrog