Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Requesting help. No pattern!

Requesting help. No pattern!

Found this really cute children's panel, novelty print, matching polka dots and decided it would make the perfect quilt for a new baby girl in the family. Didn't have a pattern, or really much of a plan, which is becoming evident. I usually follow patterns. The panel is 15 X 36 with the piano keys. I've created 3 different 6" blocks and was thinking 3 mixed rows above and below the panel, then finish with the piano key effect set vertically at the top and bottom. I'm not sure how much blue to include. I also have a matching balloon print for the back that could be used in small amounts on the front, but not sure where or how. Originally I was going to use two panels with the children marching right on one panel and left on the other and put the little 6" blocks between them somehow. Anyway, any suggestions from all the creative minds on this board will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

CUTE!! love the polka dots you coordinated with the panel prints.
    OVER THE RAINBOW JANE is the name of my Dear Baby Jane----though it should be poor, neglected & may never ever be finished baby jane!
    http://retrofabulous-retro.blogspot.com

I think it looks great! so cute!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I love how you show it in the top pix!

Looks fantastic (great fabric choices). Love how you have made the mixed blocks for top and bottom...This is going to be an absolute beauty.

Blog Entries
    I think you're doing great! It's going to be wonderful!!
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

Your layout looks great. I would finish with blue border the same size as your horizontal sashing and finish with matching blue binding. Love the panel.

Val

I'm a box thinker which means I'm all about even. I would alternate a row of the blocks, the panel, row of blocks, panel, then another row of blocks. but I'd have to see it layed out. try taking a picture of a few layouts you'd be surprised at the difference it makes on what you see. I have seen quilts where they took panels and off set the blocks going beside the panel pieces. Like you have your marching piece then you take your row of blocks and stack them vertical on the right side and a couple traveling under the marching block. The open space to the left you fill with a coordinating fabric. The do the opposite with the next marching piece stack blocks vertical to the left traveling around the bottom and use a filler for the open space. It still comes out evenly done. Hopefully I was clear....good luck and great job love the fabric combinations.
    *Rachel*

You're doing a good job so far! If you want to make it wider, you could add a border of blue between the panel and het piano keyboard border.

Fay

I love it! You did a GREAT job!

TreeFrog
    I wish to grow into a better person than I am.

Power Poster
    First, let me say I am loving what you have so far! I think that the plan you have will work fine. The best thing to do is make all the block until it is the size you want and then play with them on your design wall. I am thinking that the panel in the middle will look good but maybe you would like it with the panel on the top and all the blocks under it. Sort of like the fancy part of a bedspread that used to go over the pillow? Just an idea, play with them until it looks right to you. I have also seen some really nice baby quilts on QB with the name appliqued at the top or bottom, that might be an idea too.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I absolutely love that panel. What is the fabric line? And your blocks are so nice. I love all of them. Good job. Your quilt is so nice that I want to make one just like it with the same fabrics!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

This is so great, I love it. I hope you will post pics when it is all done, I would love to see it completed.
    Amythyst

I am loving all the great suggestions. Yes, I will make all the little blocks and play with arrangement. I think I will get the other panel out and try variations with one and two panels.
    The fabric is still available in LQS as my LQS has run out and re-ordered. It's a Michael Miller called "Children at Play" by Sarah Jane and there are several different novelty prints, the panel, the balloons, and the various coordinating polka dots.
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will post more pics when I get the little blocks finished.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

I LOVE it!!!
    Karen in Kentucky

Power Poster
    Great job so far!
    SueDor

What you have done so far looks so cute that I don't think you need any help! Keep on with what you are doing. It's very very cute.

Blog Entries
    Your plan looks excellent so far. Keep going. "Made up" patterns are so fun because of the originality. You go, girl!

well I love the pinks and orange together and would keep the teal to a minimum, as accent.
    Stripes and small sections in the middle of squares (like you have done) is what I would do, too.
    Like the piano keys on the panel as well.

What adorable fabric - can't wait to see what you come up with!

Looks great!
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

If it were me, I would add a row of the baloon fabric after the blue, then repeat the blue, then repeat the panel, facing the other direction. I'd use the rows of blocks like you have them, on each end under the panels. I would make the row of baloon fabric wider but not as wide as the panels. Perhaps 2/3s as wide.
    I love your panel and coordinating fabrics! It's going to be a happy bright quilt.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Cute! Who needs a pattern when you have a great imagination!!

I love the quilt, layout and color and pattern choices! And I love it that there are others like me who just jump in. I have always been that way. I joined my first BOM this year, not liking it much, seems too controlled! LOL But I promised if I ordered it I would finish it. LOL

Great job, keep going!

I like it.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast