Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rescued String Quilt Progress...what next? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rescued-string-quilt-progress-what-next-t264192.html)

Koriana 04-18-2015 10:44 PM

Rescued String Quilt Progress...what next?

2 Attachment(s)
I found this string quilt (with deteriorating material) in a box of fabric that my SIL gave me, though neither one of us remembers ever seeing it before. We asked throughout the family but no one claimed the unfinished project, so I took it apart and rescued the intact fabric and added material from my stash building on the colors in the original project...blues, yellows, greens, teals and black (I subtracted the red). It's currently about 45X58" and my daughter has claimed the finished quilt, but I need to make it bigger at her request. I've thought about adding a thin border (maybe 1/3 the size of the blocks) of string pieces and/or adding some applique flowers. The "floating" blocks were added with the help of my granddaughter and kept as a memento for her mom. (Thanks for the suggestion, Lynnie.)
Below are pictures of the original quilt top and it's current status. Thanks for looking and any suggestions on additional borders would be appreciated. Also, opinions on tying, "big-stitch" quilting or machine quilting would be helpful as well.

LavenderBlue 04-18-2015 11:33 PM

Beautiful! What a transformation.....

nanacc 04-19-2015 12:01 AM

Beautiful!! I can hardly believe what you made from that beginning!

QM 04-19-2015 12:09 AM

I agree that your transformation is a huge improvement.

LoriEl 04-19-2015 02:26 AM

It doesn't even look like the same quilt! Amazing transformation.

Future Quilter 04-19-2015 03:02 AM

I like the way it is on the design wall. Sash the blocks in black then a black border. :thumbup:

quilterpurpledog 04-19-2015 03:11 AM

Wow. The transformation is beautiful. When I saw the first picture I was dubious about a good outcome but you did a great save. I think Future Quilter offered perfect advice. I like the black sashing and border idea. If you wanted a bit of a bolder look you could put four blocks into a square and treat them as a single square with the sashing strips.

PaperPrincess 04-19-2015 03:57 AM

Great save! I'd take the top to my lqs and try and get a couple fabrics to match the purple and teal in the 2 polka dot fabrics used in the top. Those are the 2 that really stand out to me. I would add a narrow teal stop border, maybe 1" finished, then another black border, maybe 2" finished, then a wider (4-6" finished) border purple. That would add 10-12" to the top. Would that be large enough? You could reverse the teal and purple borders (wider teal border, narrower purple).

Koriana 04-19-2015 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7169541)
Great save! I'd take the top to my lqs and try and get a couple fabrics to match the purple and teal in the 2 polka dot fabrics used in the top. Those are the 2 that really stand out to me. I would add a narrow teal stop border, maybe 1" finished, then another black border, maybe 2" finished, then a wider (4-6" finished) border purple. That would add 10-12" to the top. Would that be large enough? You could reverse the teal and purple borders (wider teal border, narrower purple).

Thanks, PaperPrincess. I'm trying to stick to my stash for this one...I have enough of the purple for a narrow border (about the same as the black sashing). The teal polka dot was a rescue material (one of my favorites) and virtually every piece is already in the quilt. I do have enough of the teal with purple flowers for a wide border. I'll have to lay it out and see what it looks like and of course, my daughter will get a say so.

Judylee2 04-20-2015 03:04 AM

I really like the change and the violating of the border and the sashing by the falling blocks! That design element whether intentional or not looks extremely sharp!