Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Residual elmers washable school glue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/residual-elmers-washable-school-glue-t309177.html)

Sewing Cynthia 01-13-2020 11:13 AM

Residual elmers washable school glue

1 Attachment(s)
I basted a quilt using Elmers Washable School Glue (fabulous!) but there are spots where the glue landed a bit thicker and didn’t wash out. I went to a laundromat and used a large washer. These spots are about the size of an eraser head. I am confident they will come out, but trying to decide least offensive method for the Dream wool batting. Should I hit the spots with Shout” spot treatment? ( mostly Kona solids) soak the quilt in the bath tub? Keep washing til it’s gone? I will be using my front load washer at home. I also used the crayola ultra clean washable markers and they are completely gone!

carol45 01-13-2020 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sewing Cynthia (Post 8350585)
I basted a quilt using Elmers Washable School Glue (fabulous!) but there are spots where the glue landed a bit thicker and didn’t wash out. I went to a laundromat and used a large washer. These spots are about the size of an eraser head. I am confident they will come out, but trying to decide least offensive method for the Dream wool batting. Should I hit the spots with Shout” spot treatment? ( mostly Kona solids) soak the quilt in the bath tub? Keep washing til it’s gone? I will be using my front load washer at home. I also used the crayola ultra clean washable markers and they are completely gone!

I would saturate the troublesome spots with water first, and then launder it again.

Tartan 01-13-2020 12:22 PM

I found that some fabrics tend to hold onto glue more then others. I had a quilt that the glue did not wash out of but I added more soap and washed again and it came out.

Stitchnripper 01-13-2020 01:17 PM

I would just soak it more and then rewash. I’ve had that once or twice and that worked for me

juliasb 01-13-2020 02:21 PM

Yes, I would soak it well in a tub and then rewash. It should come out. I haven't been using this method very long but I do love it and have not experienced this problem.

mom2boyz 01-13-2020 06:28 PM

To avoid those heavy glue dots, I first dilute the glue with water, almost 50/50. Then after I squirt it on the batting, I use an old credit card and spread it around quickly and then layer the fabric. I have had no problem with the glue since I started this procedure.

Sewing Cynthia 01-13-2020 07:15 PM

Thank you all for the advise how to correct my issue, and how to prevent in the future! The credit card idea is a good one, as it will move over the fabric/ batting without sticking!

themadpatter 01-13-2020 10:41 PM

How did you do the giant stitching? That looks cool. Everyone already told you how I would do the glue, lol. As they say, enough about you, what about me? ;)

Sewing Cynthia 01-14-2020 05:43 AM

Themadpatter- I did the big stitching by hand. I enjoyed it, and like the outcome. Only problem was it was very hard on my finger and thumb! I have to work on my technique I guess.

AZ Jane 01-14-2020 05:49 AM

All blobs of glue must be smoothed out when using, no matter the application.