Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Retreat interest? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/retreat-interest-t34373.html)

gramqlts 01-17-2010 09:06 PM

Our quilt guild holds a retreat twice a year at local church camp that has a big lodge with rooms on each end of it and also cabins within walking distance. Huge room with tables for sewing and large kitchen for cooking and preparing meals. We go for 3 days in spring and again in fall. We all chip in and help with meals. There is usually 30-40 of us that go each time and we only have to help prepare and bring food for one meal in that 3 day period. It is very modern place and only costs us about $45 for the whole 3 days. Ours is owned and operated by the Methodist Ministry. Check some local church camps out and you can probably find a place cheaper. As I go already instate 3 times a year can't get off work for much else except family trips. But sounds like fun.

Scissor Queen 01-18-2010 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by gramqlts
Our quilt guild holds a retreat twice a year at local church camp that has a big lodge with rooms on each end of it and also cabins within walking distance. Huge room with tables for sewing and large kitchen for cooking and preparing meals. We go for 3 days in spring and again in fall. We all chip in and help with meals. There is usually 30-40 of us that go each time and we only have to help prepare and bring food for one meal in that 3 day period. It is very modern place and only costs us about $45 for the whole 3 days. Ours is owned and operated by the Methodist Ministry. Check some local church camps out and you can probably find a place cheaper. As I go already instate 3 times a year can't get off work for much else except family trips. But sounds like fun.

I don't go to retreats to cook and wash dishes. Most of the church camps I have found don't hold that many.

The church camp I did find will sleep 175 and they'll feed you twice a day. Plus they have a massive room that can be used for a sewing room.

Maybe you can put together a retreat for members of this group in your area.

brushandthimble 01-18-2010 07:51 AM

I would love to go but.... to far to drive, no $ to fly.
I on located outside of Boston, anyone near here?

daisyboo9 01-18-2010 08:03 AM

I would be very interested. How far would I be if I live in southwestern Ontario, Canada?

Kaye-Kaye 01-18-2010 08:08 AM

I am just 2.5 hours from Kansas City. A retreat would be fun. Would we want to do a long weekend or what?

Scissor Queen 01-18-2010 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kaye-Kaye
I am just 2.5 hours from Kansas City. A retreat would be fun. Would we want to do a long weekend or what?

I like retreats that run from late Thursday afternoon until early Sunday afternoon. That gives you Thursday evening to get unpacked and set up and then you get to sew two full days before you have to pack up and leave.

I'm thinking there has been enough interest expressed already in this thread to go ahead and get prices.

ljsunflower 01-18-2010 10:04 AM

WOW! This sounds like a "GO" to me!
I'm with you scissor queen. I don't want to cook or even think about cooking while I'm on retreat. And Thursday afternoon/evening till Sunday afternoon is usually about all the time I can spend away from home. Get us some prices & see what time frame is open for this. Do you know if there's a minimum or maximum number of people for this facility?
thanks so much for thinking of this.

Barb_MO 01-18-2010 10:14 AM

Could someone who is not a member of the board be invited to attend...like my sister and her daughter?

I've never been to a quilt retreat, so, what are somethings that you do? is it all quilting or do you shop some too?

Scissor Queen 01-18-2010 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
Could someone who is not a member of the board be invited to attend...like my sister and her daughter?

I've never been to a quilt retreat, so, what are somethings that you do? is it all quilting or do you shop some too?

The more the merrier! I think there are some shops in the area for those that want to shop.

Dorothy of Kansas 01-18-2010 11:58 AM

I'm definitely interested. What part of Kansas would this be held in? I'm currently in Oklahoma and would be willing to pick up anyone along the way. I drive a mini van, so could haul the machines as well as fabric!! Keep me posted!