Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rhinestones, good idea or bad? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rhinestones-good-idea-bad-t140782.html)

Scakes 07-27-2011 06:53 PM

I like the idea of the bling. The last show I visited, they had some quilts with beading, rhinestones, sea shells - all kinds of things. I think they are fun. :lol:

BluegrassGurl 07-27-2011 06:53 PM

Quilts have many purposes.... one of them being artwork.
I say.... go with your gut...and bring on the rhinestones!

Can't wait to see it!

Lori S 07-27-2011 06:56 PM

I like them when they enhance a design element... and don't just look like added bling. I have seen it done well and not so well.

BRenea 07-27-2011 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80

Originally Posted by BRenea
I like a little sparkle on a quilt, and if it's for display why not? I have done hot-fix swarovski crystals and they are very pretty and classy-looking, IMHO. I've been wanting to try machine embroidery with mylar tissue, that's very pretty too! :D

I don't think there's a woman in Texas that doesn't like sparkle. :D My husband was born and raised in Lindale (outside of Tyler, 'bout 90 miles east of Dallas) and we go visit often. Everything has more bling and sparkle in Texas!

Well, we're not all denim and diamonds and big hair...okay, scratch that...I just caught a glimpse of myself in the window! :D

Maggiemay 07-27-2011 06:58 PM

I vote for bling too! I saw a few quilts at the Road to California quilt show that had the hot fix rhinestones & they were beautiful.

SueSew 07-27-2011 07:08 PM

saw one in Vermont QF which won big, had Swarovski crystals sewn into the quilting. Blackish fabrics made them sparkle. It had a lot of ribbons and white-glove people at it. It will be on the VQF website.

Rachelcb80 07-27-2011 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by BRenea

Well, we're not all denim and diamonds and big hair...okay, scratch that...I just caught a glimpse of myself in the window! :D

LoL! Truth be known, I try as hard as I can to look like y'all. It's not easy! :D

Candace 07-27-2011 07:11 PM

Go for it Rachel. Many of the shows feature bling now. Wall quilts or hangings typically. I've never used them, but they look fun.

ej180 07-27-2011 07:29 PM

On my last class, the teacher demo'd the hot fix rhinestones. It was very easy and I agree, they do add lots of sparkle to show quilts. If your going for show, definitely use them! Seems they are pricey, check eBay or places where you can purchase them in bulk.

Nanamoms 07-27-2011 07:31 PM

I used to bead pageant dresses...talk about glitz!! I like to use the AB stones and they come in different sizes. Rather than using the hot fix applicator, I use Beacon's Gem Tac (available at HL and Hancocks). Simply squeeze a small amt on a paper plate (large amt will dry out fast) and use a toothpick, put the glue where you want the stone, then place the stone on it. Easy, peasy!!

Another bling idea is to use AB sequins. Apply them the same way.

I'm a southern girl so I like bling!!