Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rhinestones, good idea or bad? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rhinestones-good-idea-bad-t140782.html)

Rachelcb80 07-27-2011 06:27 PM

So I've been thinking on this all afternoon and had pretty much decided that I wanted to add some sparkle to my current WIP. This quilt is for a show this fall. I've quilted, and quilted, and quilted on it but it seems like it needs a little something more still. I mentioned the rhinestones to my husband this evening and he didn't like the idea at all. (What do husbands know, right? :P ) He said, "Who wants scratchy rhinestones on a quilt?!" I told him this quilt was never going to be used and with all the quilting on it already it would be like snuggling with cardboard. He doesn't quite get the whole "quilts for looking at only" deal. He still didn't think rhinestones were a good idea.

So his reaction got me to second guessing my idea (grrr, he always does that), but I'm still thinking I might try it. How many of you have used rhinestones on a quilt? Were you fairly happy with the end product? Did the rhinestones just stick out like a sore thumb, or did they blend well and just add some sparkle?

rusty quilter 07-27-2011 06:30 PM

I got to go with your DH. Who wants something scratchy to sleep with? Do you want this quilt for just show--or to be used and used and used...a family heirloom?

Maggiesmom 07-27-2011 06:30 PM

My friends who recently attended the AQS show in Knoxville said that a good number of the quilts on display had beading and sparkly things on them.

NancyG 07-27-2011 06:34 PM

I love the idea of rhinestones or sparklies. I think it would add so much to the quilt. But I'd only do this if it was just for looks and the quilt wasn't going to be used.

bjeriann 07-27-2011 06:37 PM

I'd go for it. How do you attach them? Will they be sewn or glued on? If sewn - you can always take them off if you don't like them. Can't wait to see it when you get it done.

lisalisa 07-27-2011 06:39 PM

You could always opt for beads. It's a nice middle ground. No scratchies on the off chance that it might be used some day.

quiltsillysandi 07-27-2011 06:40 PM

Bling can add so much to a project.....My boss has a lonestar wall hanging and it's got rhinestones all in it....Gorgeous!!!

I vote for the rhinestones!!

Rachelcb80 07-27-2011 06:44 PM

This quilt is definitely not going to be used. I doubt anyone would want to use it as it's been quilted within an inch of it's life. Very stiff.

I'm thinking of using the hot fix rhinestones and getting the little applicator that heats up and applies the rhinestone. Sounds easy enough, which usually means it'll be a nightmare. :)

BRenea 07-27-2011 06:46 PM

I like a little sparkle on a quilt, and if it's for display why not? I have done hot-fix swarovski crystals and they are very pretty and classy-looking, IMHO. I've been wanting to try machine embroidery with mylar tissue, that's very pretty too! :D

Rachelcb80 07-27-2011 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by BRenea
I like a little sparkle on a quilt, and if it's for display why not? I have done hot-fix swarovski crystals and they are very pretty and classy-looking, IMHO. I've been wanting to try machine embroidery with mylar tissue, that's very pretty too! :D

I don't think there's a woman in Texas that doesn't like sparkle. :D My husband was born and raised in Lindale (outside of Tyler, 'bout 90 miles east of Dallas) and we go visit often. Everything has more bling and sparkle in Texas!