Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rhonda - Inchie Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rhonda-inchie-quilts-t20914.html)

kluedesigns 06-03-2009 07:01 AM

the art quilt arena has moved into the small scale quilts.

i saw this book and thought of you right away.

its just been release.

http://www.americanquilter.com/books...il.php?id=8021

Rhonda 06-03-2009 08:07 AM

Very interesting idea!! I love to see what others come up with. I do 2 1/2" quilts for the store I sell to. She is in an Amish tourist area and she sells Amish dolls. She puts the little quilts on a doll's lap to look like the doll made the quilt.

Thanks so much for thinking of me! I loved it! May have to get the book and take a closer look!

amma 06-03-2009 08:15 AM

Intriguing!!! I read the description of the book, one inch blocks :shock: very interesting though :D

kluedesigns 06-03-2009 11:01 AM

i can't imagine working within 1 inch - i think 2.5 inches is hard enough.

mytwopals 06-03-2009 11:10 AM

Just imagine how intricate a king-size quilt would be, if made from these inchies. It would take 10,000 inchie squares to make a 100"x100" quilt. Of course, you could lessen that number by using 1/4" sashing between all the inchies. :?:

mkanderson 06-06-2009 12:44 PM

Are the "Inch" Quilts the same thing that they call "Postage Stamp" Quilt???? If so, I have started cutting the squares out of some of my scraps and putting in a baggie to start on "one of these days"!!

Rhonda 06-06-2009 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by mkanderson
Are the "Inch" Quilts the same thing that they call "Postage Stamp" Quilt???? If so, I have started cutting the squares out of some of my scraps and putting in a baggie to start on "one of these days"!!

Mary I have an easier way(wouldn't you know!) to make the postage stamp squares. Basically you sew 4 pieces together and then cut out a 4 patch and then you can sew the 4 patches together to get the same look. You can cut strips and there is no! waste. Just a thought before you cut too many if you want to try my way. Rhonda

kluedesigns 06-06-2009 04:30 PM

with the postage stamp quilt you sew all the little squares together to make 1 big quilt.

an inchie - is a quilt 1 inch in size total. some people do a series of them and hang them all together.

at the last quilt show i went to a lady did an inchie quilt and they were all hung about 1/4 inch from each other.

when you were right next to the quilt you just notice nicely decorated 1 inch miniature quilts but when you looked at the quilt from a distance the image was an orange and cream tabby cat.

it was absolutely spectacular.

Ninnie 06-06-2009 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
with the postage stamp quilt you sew all the little squares together to make 1 big quilt.

an inchie - is a quilt 1 inch in size total. some people do a series of them and hang them all together.

at the last quilt show i went to a lady did an inchie quilt and they were all hung about 1/4 inch from each other.

when you were right next to the quilt you just notice nicely decorated 1 inch miniature quilts but when you looked at the quilt from a distance the image was an orange and cream tabby cat.

it was absolutely spectacular.

I would love to see that!

Ninnie

kluedesigns 06-06-2009 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i wish everyone could see it - it was truly amazing.

the negative hanging space was the cream color and thats what made the cream stripes in the tabby cat.

then the individual little quilts where all shade of orange and she even made 2 bright green eyes. the eyes had angelina fibers so they were very reflective and would shine in the light just like a cats eyes. it was just brilliant.

she was right by the quilt the entire time and wouldn't let people take photos.

its on my list of things to do but i want to do the Chrysler Building in NYC. i think the curves of that building would translate well into inchies.