Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Rhonda - Inchie Quilts

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    the art quilt arena has moved into the small scale quilts.

    i saw this book and thought of you right away.

    its just been release.


    http://www.americanquilter.com/books...il.php?id=8021

  2. #2
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,404
    Blog Entries
    51
    Very interesting idea!! I love to see what others come up with. I do 2 1/2" quilts for the store I sell to. She is in an Amish tourist area and she sells Amish dolls. She puts the little quilts on a doll's lap to look like the doll made the quilt.

    Thanks so much for thinking of me! I loved it! May have to get the book and take a closer look!

  3. #3
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    Intriguing!!! I read the description of the book, one inch blocks :shock: very interesting though :D

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    i can't imagine working within 1 inch - i think 2.5 inches is hard enough.

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,393
    Just imagine how intricate a king-size quilt would be, if made from these inchies. It would take 10,000 inchie squares to make a 100"x100" quilt. Of course, you could lessen that number by using 1/4" sashing between all the inchies. :?:

  6. #6
    Senior Member mkanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    331
    Are the "Inch" Quilts the same thing that they call "Postage Stamp" Quilt???? If so, I have started cutting the squares out of some of my scraps and putting in a baggie to start on "one of these days"!!

  7. #7
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,404
    Blog Entries
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by mkanderson
    Are the "Inch" Quilts the same thing that they call "Postage Stamp" Quilt???? If so, I have started cutting the squares out of some of my scraps and putting in a baggie to start on "one of these days"!!
    Mary I have an easier way(wouldn't you know!) to make the postage stamp squares. Basically you sew 4 pieces together and then cut out a 4 patch and then you can sew the 4 patches together to get the same look. You can cut strips and there is no! waste. Just a thought before you cut too many if you want to try my way. Rhonda

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    with the postage stamp quilt you sew all the little squares together to make 1 big quilt.

    an inchie - is a quilt 1 inch in size total. some people do a series of them and hang them all together.

    at the last quilt show i went to a lady did an inchie quilt and they were all hung about 1/4 inch from each other.

    when you were right next to the quilt you just notice nicely decorated 1 inch miniature quilts but when you looked at the quilt from a distance the image was an orange and cream tabby cat.

    it was absolutely spectacular.


  9. #9
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    with the postage stamp quilt you sew all the little squares together to make 1 big quilt.

    an inchie - is a quilt 1 inch in size total. some people do a series of them and hang them all together.

    at the last quilt show i went to a lady did an inchie quilt and they were all hung about 1/4 inch from each other.

    when you were right next to the quilt you just notice nicely decorated 1 inch miniature quilts but when you looked at the quilt from a distance the image was an orange and cream tabby cat.

    it was absolutely spectacular.

    I would love to see that!


    Ninnie

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    i wish everyone could see it - it was truly amazing.

    the negative hanging space was the cream color and thats what made the cream stripes in the tabby cat.

    then the individual little quilts where all shade of orange and she even made 2 bright green eyes. the eyes had angelina fibers so they were very reflective and would shine in the light just like a cats eyes. it was just brilliant.

    she was right by the quilt the entire time and wouldn't let people take photos.

    its on my list of things to do but i want to do the Chrysler Building in NYC. i think the curves of that building would translate well into inchies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Senior Member mkanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Quote Originally Posted by mkanderson
    Are the "Inch" Quilts the same thing that they call "Postage Stamp" Quilt???? If so, I have started cutting the squares out of some of my scraps and putting in a baggie to start on "one of these days"!!
    Mary I have an easier way(wouldn't you know!) to make the postage stamp squares. Basically you sew 4 pieces together and then cut out a 4 patch and then you can sew the 4 patches together to get the same look. You can cut strips and there is no! waste. Just a thought before you cut too many if you want to try my way. Rhonda
    Easieris always better in my book!!! Thanks I will try that! Some of my "scraps" are just about the right size! I am even keeping the edges that I cut off at the ends and using them for filler for my granddaughter's stuffed animals that I am going to make for her.

  12. #12
    Junior Member ProLongarmARTQUILTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    out in the heat
    Posts
    162
    Some make their Inchies a little bigger as Big Inchies 2x2.5 or2x3 sometimes you get to change things how you like them!!!

  13. #13
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Mary I have an easier way(wouldn't you know!) to make the postage stamp squares. Basically you sew 4 pieces together and then cut out a 4 patch and then you can sew the 4 patches together to get the same look. You can cut strips and there is no! waste. Just a thought before you cut too many if you want to try my way. Rhonda
    There you go - adding to my TO DO list again! Might try this for the Japan doll quilt swap....I can say that here can't I? Panda won't tell! :D

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Verona , Virginia
    Posts
    669
    Here's a tutorial on inchies . Annie


    http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com...chie-tutorial/

  15. #15
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,404
    Blog Entries
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    An inch quilt seems impossible- I can't seem to even get inch border/insets to work right! whew!
    When you add a border that needs to be an inch just cut the border wider and after you sew on the border trim it to the size you want it to be. Sew easy!!! Just watch your seam allowance so it is even all along the border.

  16. #16
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    If you want to do a 1/4" border - especially effective in a dark colour as an inner frame - you can cut a 3/4" strip, sew to the top with a 1/4" seam as usual then press this seam towards the skinny border - this seam allowance gives you a ridge to guide your foot as you sew on the next border, giving you a perfect 1/4" border. I haven't tried it yet - I saw it in a book!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.