Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rick rack (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rick-rack-t153581.html)

Ellie'sNana 09-18-2011 09:30 AM

I'm with you. I couldn't tell you exactly why, but I am not a fan of rick rack at all.

Originally Posted by orangeroom
Is anyone else not a fan?

Maybe it's because it was in a clown costume my mom made me when I was younger. Whenever I see or hear about rick rack, I only think of clowns!

Pat G 09-18-2011 10:06 AM

I recently came across patterns for making rick rack flowers. Used lg. & sm. rickrack & even layered the sizes in some cases.

serenitybygrace 09-18-2011 10:27 AM

Nothing wrong with rickrack if used in whatever. I don't happen to like it overdone but 'overdone' is a personal judgement.

nellie 09-18-2011 10:40 AM

im a fan of rick rack makkes wonderful trims

Rose L 09-18-2011 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by pattypurple
Does anyone remember the ear rings made from rick rack? Probably back in early 60's or maybe late 50's. The rick rack was gathered on a string into a circle and then ear ring back was glued on. I remember my Mom having several pairs.

I have several pairs of earrings like this that my grandmother made. ( I've never seen such tiny, dainty rick rack before.) My mother entered them in some sort of contest prior to her own death and won several ribbons with them. I've kept them because I'm sentimental about them but I keep wondering what I should really DO with them. I don't wear jewelry.

lass 09-18-2011 11:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I love it especially the larger rick rack like in this quilt I did for a friend's new granddaughter

Homemother 09-18-2011 11:14 AM

I try really really really hard to like rick rack. I guess it didn't have good memories for me. It's sort of like the 70s fabrics - they were ugly then and this time around they are better, but still kind of ugly. I like the way the "new" 70s fabrics are designed, but would not use them myself. Same with rick rack. Sometimes I really like the way it is used, but it's still unappealing to my senses and I don't use rick rack at all.

quiltmom04 09-18-2011 11:46 AM

I think of those dreadful home ec dresses!

Bev 09-18-2011 12:10 PM

I have put the dainty baby rickrack on my little granddaughter's dresses that I've made for her. Just a touch and it looks so sweet. I also make clothes for my 8 yr. old granddaughter's American Girl doll, Molly. I believe she's supposed to be from the forties. I use the tiny rickrack on her sundresses and bathing suits.
Other than that, I like it in standard sizes on aprons. I also made a Mary Englebreit crazy quilt and used rickrack on a number of the blocks. It seemed to fit right in with her fabrics. I think rickrack has its place on a certain type of things, very homey and cute stuff. 8-)

mucky 09-18-2011 12:15 PM

I've seen it used nicely on quilts.