Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Right now, this very moment, this is what my sewing room/space looks like (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/right-now-very-moment-what-my-sewing-room-space-looks-like-t104454.html)

Lucky Lindy 03-04-2011 05:59 PM

Where is the mess? All I see is creativity!

lots2do 03-05-2011 11:05 AM

I'd like to think that if I weren't working, my space would be a lot neater since I'd have more time to spend in it and on it. Of course, I won't be able to test this theory until I retire.

I am working on a few projects right now at the same time and it's been such a pleasure to be able to grab all the fabrics I need and just get to it. I don't have as much as any shop I've ever been to and don't plan on accumulating that much but I do have a healthy stash. Since I work hard at that job, and since I am not extravagant in any area of my life, buying fabric from time to time makes me happy.

I am trying to organize my space so that my good friend can come over and knit while I sew or knit. I have a comfy chair ready for her but need to get a bit more done. She is very laid back and supportive so thankfully it won't have to be neat as a pin for her to feel comfortable.

I went to a workshop once where the presenter said that some people just feel more comfortable with a nest of their stuff around them and that they also like to see their stuff. I think I'm one of those and while I admire those who can be neat as can be, I don't think we are all wired that way.

RugosaB 03-05-2011 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I suppose it may look a little neater than some, but I've waited years for this room, and since I have room for stuff, it's neater

kateyb 03-06-2011 07:05 AM

I am not a neatnick but can't deal with a lot of chaos either. I travel 250 miles every few weeks to take care of my mom. Mostly, she likes the company. Before I leave I straighten my sewing room so it is ready to go when I get back and so my husband can use his corner of the room in comfort. I share with him. He has 3' of a 12' table to do his photo stuff on the computer. He doesn't really mind when I am in creative mode and have pulled things out. We recently purchased a freezer and had to put it in the sewing room. It has become my design wall. I did have to move the ironing board to the guest room across the hall. I have a fold out cutting table so I keep a large area of the floor clear so I can use it when needed. I only completely unfold it when I am pinning a quilt, half up is plenty of space to cut. I have utility shelves (inexpensive)covered with a curtain for my fabric. It is accessible but neat. I have seen some good storage ideas here for tools so will probably do some of those to get better use of my space.

bevster 03-06-2011 05:17 PM

GOTTA LOVE IT!

incoming2me 03-06-2011 07:19 PM

Well.. so much for my finishing my quilting room make-over anytime soon.

Friday morning I did a number on my left hand.
Long story short - a glass shattered in my hand while taking it from the table to the sink.
One trip to the ER, a sliced artery, and 20 stitches later...

I'll see a hand surgeon this week and my stitches come out either Friday or the following Monday.

Oh.. did I mention... I'm LEFT handed?

Just keeps getting better, doesn't it? :thumbup:

Sadiemae 03-06-2011 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by incoming2me

Long story short - a glass shattered in my hand while taking it from the table to the sink.

I'll see a hand surgeon this week and my stitches come out either Friday or the following Monday.

So sorry... Hope you have a speedy recovery.

SandyinZ4 03-06-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by incoming2me

I second the speedy recovery and full use of your hand. Plus, get rid of those remaining glasses and buy some shatterproof ones. Pretty please!

incoming2me 03-06-2011 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
I second the speedy recovery and full use of your hand. Plus, get rid of those remaining glasses and buy some shatterproof ones. Pretty please!

Funny you mention that... when I got home from the ER..
I removed ALL glassware from the cabinet.
That evening I replaced them with the clear acrylic type glasses!

No need to learn that lesson twice. ;-)
------

Thank you all for your thoughts and encouragement.

The bandages came off this evening and although rather gory, I am able to touch my thumb to all fingers! YEA!!!
Strength will probably be the biggest concern. :thumbup:

frarose 03-06-2011 11:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess with all of our stuff it is hard to be neat. Here is my sewing room or at least part of it.