Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To rip or not to rip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rip-not-rip-t259132.html)

marilynr 01-03-2015 05:41 PM

It looks like a design choice to me. Please do not rip it out. It is beautiful as is.

Michellesews 01-03-2015 06:22 PM

Ripping would only make things worse! If you hadn't told me, I would have never noticed. In the grand scheme of the quilt it will disappear!

yngldy 01-03-2015 06:40 PM

It is very pretty! I have seen quilting done that way on purpose. I thought that is what you were going for.

I had some double stitching in a quilt I made, although my lines were stitched closer. Someone told me to wash it before I made the "big decision". It was harder to see after washing, so I left it.

faykilgore 01-03-2015 09:09 PM

The pattern is Hip to (Not) Be Square from Living Large 2; Heather Peterson of Anka's Treasures. It looks deceptively easy, all straight line sewing, right? A few of my 1" black lines didn't quite match up. The one I carefully unsewed and resewed after partially SID was actually upside down. I am more afraid of doing more damage trying to remove the double and triple quilting stitches but I have learned a lot about quilting in the hoop. It's very time consuming. I could have had the entire quilt FMQ'd by now!

faykilgore 01-03-2015 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 7032451)
I don't think I would rip it out. What I think I would do from here on out though, is put your machine in the center of a large enough table so that you could puddle the quilt all the way around the machine. That may help with the shadowing. Beautiful quilt and great choice of quilting design.

Cari

Thank you. That's what I ended up doing and it quit creating the shadow effect. Of course on my trial pieces, the weight wasn't a factor, so I learned after the mistakes were made. I also made a better template to line up the pattern more consistently.

Cari-in-Oly 01-03-2015 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by faykilgore (Post 7032872)
Thank you. That's what I ended up doing and it quit creating the shadow effect. Of course on my trial pieces, the weight wasn't a factor, so I learned after the mistakes were made. I also made a better template to line up the pattern more consistently.

I'm glad it worked. Of course you know how I knew to do that, lol, I've had the same thing happen.

Cari

notmorecraft 01-03-2015 10:55 PM

Remember when we look at out stitching, it's from a couple of inches away, others admire our quilts on a bed, sofa etc and stand back and admire and don't notice the tiny imperfections that we see close up. It's beautiful and I'm sure your friend will love it, because you made it. It only needs to be perfect if entering in a quilt show when every stitch will be inspected.

DOTTYMO 01-04-2015 12:13 AM

Why not put a third row in between the two done by free motion.?

faykilgore 01-04-2015 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 7032936)
Why not put a third row in between the two done by free motion.?

I thought about that, either with thread or a Sharpie ;) . I was afraid the thicker line would be even more noticeable. I may try it on my practice piece and see if I can be that precise.

Texas_Sue 01-05-2015 04:27 AM

I think you did a really nice job and your BFF is going to be so happy with it. I vote for no ripping.