Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To rip or not to rip

To rip or not to rip

There is a definite learning curve to quilting in the hoop and even though I did some practice runs, I still had problems when I got to the quilt. I had the bulk of the quilt on the wrong side and it distorted the hoop enough to cause "shadowing" instead of following the previous stitch lines. I also got one pattern about an inch higher than the other. It's a king-sized quilt and these are on the edge. Some of the quilting lines are triple stitched, so ripping is not going to be easy and if I damage a block I will be sick. Still the perfectionist in me is not liking it. It's a gift to a BFF.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

The quilt is even larger than pictured since I've added a narrow black inner border and a 4" outer border of the theme fabric. Very busy. Not sure the "mistakes" will even be noticed by anyone else.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Blog Entries
    i would not rip it... it looks like a design choice to me... and a nice quilt, too. and as you said, probably won't even be noticed.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Wow, that is a beautiful quilt!!!! The shadowing and being a bit "off" from the others is part of being handmade. Only God and a machine are perfect.

I am by no means a perfect sewer not quilter. My sister is the perfect one. Its my imperfections that she actually appreciates as just part of me. I'm uncomfortable with my errors too, but I get over it. If I didn't, I'd dislike the process.

Ok, that being said, I guess if it bothers you that much you can pull out the stitching. I think the quilt is beautiful and the "imperfections" make it special - handmade.
    Kookie (Patti)

I think it looks fine! I would not rip it out.

I really like the quilt and the quilting. We are our own worst critics. You are looking at such a small area and thinking everyone will do the same. They won't. If you didn't have the lines there showing where you thought you were going to quilt, no one could tell that any error had been made. I would not rip. If you wash it before you give it to her, I am assuming the lines will wash out, it will continue to be just beautiful.

I love that quilt pattern. Would you share the name?
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Banned
    I don't think I would rip it out. What I think I would do from here on out though, is put your machine in the center of a large enough table so that you could puddle the quilt all the way around the machine. That may help with the shadowing. Beautiful quilt and great choice of quilting design.

Cari

I love the quilt top, it's gorgeous!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Your quilt is beautiful!! I love it and love the design you are quilting onto it. I don't think what you consider mistakes will be very noticeable when all is said and done! Keep going!

Blog Entries
    Unless your BFF is a master sewer/quilter, it would be best to leave it, IMHO. I tend to be a perfectionist, too, but this looks okay. Your friend probably won't notice and in a few months with a few more quilts done, you'll forget about this one's 'difficuties.'
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    It looks like a design choice to me. Please do not rip it out. It is beautiful as is.

Ripping would only make things worse! If you hadn't told me, I would have never noticed. In the grand scheme of the quilt it will disappear!
    Michelle Guadarrama

It is very pretty! I have seen quilting done that way on purpose. I thought that is what you were going for.

I had some double stitching in a quilt I made, although my lines were stitched closer. Someone told me to wash it before I made the "big decision". It was harder to see after washing, so I left it.

The pattern is Hip to (Not) Be Square from Living Large 2; Heather Peterson of Anka's Treasures. It looks deceptively easy, all straight line sewing, right? A few of my 1" black lines didn't quite match up. The one I carefully unsewed and resewed after partially SID was actually upside down. I am more afraid of doing more damage trying to remove the double and triple quilting stitches but I have learned a lot about quilting in the hoop. It's very time consuming. I could have had the entire quilt FMQ'd by now!
    Fay

Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    I don't think I would rip it out. What I think I would do from here on out though, is put your machine in the center of a large enough table so that you could puddle the quilt all the way around the machine. That may help with the shadowing. Beautiful quilt and great choice of quilting design.

Cari
    Thank you. That's what I ended up doing and it quit creating the shadow effect. Of course on my trial pieces, the weight wasn't a factor, so I learned after the mistakes were made. I also made a better template to line up the pattern more consistently.
    Fay

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
    Thank you. That's what I ended up doing and it quit creating the shadow effect. Of course on my trial pieces, the weight wasn't a factor, so I learned after the mistakes were made. I also made a better template to line up the pattern more consistently.
    I'm glad it worked. Of course you know how I knew to do that, lol, I've had the same thing happen.

Cari

Remember when we look at out stitching, it's from a couple of inches away, others admire our quilts on a bed, sofa etc and stand back and admire and don't notice the tiny imperfections that we see close up. It's beautiful and I'm sure your friend will love it, because you made it. It only needs to be perfect if entering in a quilt show when every stitch will be inspected.

Blog Entries
    Why not put a third row in between the two done by free motion.?
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    Why not put a third row in between the two done by free motion.?
    I thought about that, either with thread or a Sharpie . I was afraid the thicker line would be even more noticeable. I may try it on my practice piece and see if I can be that precise.
    Fay

I think you did a really nice job and your BFF is going to be so happy with it. I vote for no ripping.

I'd leave them. Embroidery stitches are a huge pain to take out. The stitches are so small, the risk of damage to the fabric is too great. Move onto your next project, and you'll soon forget this little oops.

I would not rip. I think it's beautiful and it will probably all come out in the wash!
    Jeanie

Beautiful, I hope you show the whole quilt someday. One thing I do know it takes forever to make thing perfect so don't even look for that. Be proud of what you did and keep on going. The other thought here is nothing is perfect. Not even machines. Seems like they see you coming and they plan it out their way. Have a super great day and enjoy what you are doing.

I went to a quilt show in Tombstone AZ one time and they told me their rule: If you can't see it from the back of a galloping horse, it's OK.

It looks REALLY good. I would love to be your BFF

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast