Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary Blade Sharpners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-blade-sharpners-t69586.html)

zennia 10-11-2010 06:29 PM

I second the Joanns in the landfill. That is where mine is to.

trisha 10-11-2010 07:15 PM

You have pyramids in California??? Hmmm

patdesign 10-12-2010 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Those little sharpie thingeys are so expensive that I'm almost
to the point of doing what my husband used to do with his razor blades..put them under a pyramid! It actually seemed to sharpen them so that he could shave with them more often than usual.

I'm going to try to visit one of the shops in a bigger town next week or so, Harbor Freight wasn't it? They're probably out of them, or have the prices up since they have become popular, but still cheaper than the usual rotary blades.

Any comments about these blades?

Used them, work great, plan to get more. If out at local store try on line, There was a thread about a month ago, and I posted a link. :)

patdesign 10-12-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have the TrueCut Rotary Blade Sharpener by Grace Co. It works better than any of the other sharpeners I've tried. It will keep the blade sharp but won't take out a nick in the blade. The way to use a sharpener is to not wait for the blade to get dull. Sharpen a sharp blade and it will stay sharp. I ordered a couple of the Sharpening Rulers that sharpen the blade as you cut. They are suppose to be very efficient in keeping the blade sharp too.

Good products, but the wait is terrible!

Diannw 10-12-2010 10:59 AM

I am using the Tri-Sharp, that I bought at Hancocks in Birm.Al. It only comes in one size and seems to take out the knicks. I bought it when they had a 50% sale on quilting notions so I think I paid about $7.50 for it.

virtualbernie 10-12-2010 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have the TrueCut Rotary Blade Sharpener by Grace Co. It works better than any of the other sharpeners I've tried. It will keep the blade sharp but won't take out a nick in the blade. The way to use a sharpener is to not wait for the blade to get dull. Sharpen a sharp blade and it will stay sharp. I ordered a couple of the Sharpening Rulers that sharpen the blade as you cut. They are suppose to be very efficient in keeping the blade sharp too.

Good products, but the wait is terrible!

You got that right! I'm in the holding pattern now. Glad to hear it's a good product. Would hate to wait this long and it doesn't work!

Quilt-R 11-24-2010 09:26 PM

I have been buying Olfa 45mm blades on Ebay. The first time I bought 20 blades; later I bought 25 blades and a new cutter. Both were under $35 including shipping.

Shelbie 11-25-2010 06:09 AM

I used the Tri sharp (blue with sandpaper/diamond discs) so much that I wore out the discs. I then purchased the Orbitol sharpener ($37 Canadian, handles all sizes of blades). It too works well but you never get a blade a sharp as a new one. I figure on the first sharpening it is about 75% as good as new and lasts about 3/4's as long, second sharpening 50% and third sharpening 25%. Neither of these sharpeners will take out nicks but will make your blades last longer. The best bet may still be to stock up when blades are on sale. Dull blades make for miserable cutting and will damage your mat. Kleen Cut blades (an Olfa clone) regularly sell for $2.99 at Len's Mills and once in a while they are on for half price. That's when I buy a couple of dozen and then further extend this supply by sharpening each a couple of times.

johnacostilla 05-11-2021 02:05 PM

i haven't tried one but you can use whetstones for sharpening japanese knives.

Onebyone 05-11-2021 02:42 PM

I change blades at first skip. My blades last a long time though because I run them through the Grace vertical sharpener before I use it and in between cuttings. Sharpen a sharp blade and it never gets dull.