Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Rotary Blade Sharpners

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Clanton, Alabama
    Posts
    6
    Has anyone tried any of the rotary blade sharpners that are available? I recently purchased a manual one that sharpens 45mm blades and it seems to work quite well, three or four sharpenings before I throwout the blade. I am looking to find one that will also do 60mm blades. Any thought or suggestions?

  2. #2
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    I ordered a TrueCut Rotary Blade Sharpener quite a while ago. Haven't received it yet but it's a sharpener on a strip and you run your blade across it. Kinda pricey though. Look it up, maybe you would be interested in that.

  3. #3
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    I haven't tried one.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Merced, CA
    Posts
    4,230
    Blog Entries
    1
    Those little sharpie thingeys are so expensive that I'm almost
    to the point of doing what my husband used to do with his razor blades..put them under a pyramid! It actually seemed to sharpen them so that he could shave with them more often than usual.

    I'm going to try to visit one of the shops in a bigger town next week or so, Harbor Freight wasn't it? They're probably out of them, or have the prices up since they have become popular, but still cheaper than the usual rotary blades.

    Any comments about these blades?

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Merced, CA
    Posts
    4,230
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I ordered a TrueCut Rotary Blade Sharpener quite a while ago. Haven't received it yet but it's a sharpener on a strip and you run your blade across it. Kinda pricey though. Look it up, maybe you would be interested in that.
    ----------------------------
    I wonder if my Grandpa's old leather belt sharpening trick might work on these? It worked for a long time with his long, wicked looking
    razor.

  6. #6
    Senior Member quiltingbee12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    671
    I've not tried one, but I have heard they don't always work well..

  7. #7
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have the TrueCut Rotary Blade Sharpener by Grace Co. It works better than any of the other sharpeners I've tried. It will keep the blade sharp but won't take out a nick in the blade. The way to use a sharpener is to not wait for the blade to get dull. Sharpen a sharp blade and it will stay sharp. I ordered a couple of the Sharpening Rulers that sharpen the blade as you cut. They are suppose to be very efficient in keeping the blade sharp too.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Baysidegal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    997
    I love the Harbor Freight Blades....they work well and when I start a new project, I don't feel bad about using a new one

  9. #9
    Super Member Butterflyblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,438
    Diannw - what brand of rotary blade sharpener do you have? I have been wanting to get a sharpener, but am not sure which ones work well and which don't. I only use 45mm blades, so the brand that you already have might be just what I need.

  10. #10
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    The one I got from Joann's is in a landfill- don't get that one!!
    I currently overuse my blades, I know, stupid :D

  11. #11
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    new york state
    Posts
    10,516
    Blog Entries
    2
    I second the Joanns in the landfill. That is where mine is to.

  12. #12
    Super Member trisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    1,874
    You have pyramids in California??? Hmmm

  13. #13
    Super Member patdesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    So. Fla now, Va orig
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Those little sharpie thingeys are so expensive that I'm almost
    to the point of doing what my husband used to do with his razor blades..put them under a pyramid! It actually seemed to sharpen them so that he could shave with them more often than usual.

    I'm going to try to visit one of the shops in a bigger town next week or so, Harbor Freight wasn't it? They're probably out of them, or have the prices up since they have become popular, but still cheaper than the usual rotary blades.

    Any comments about these blades?
    Used them, work great, plan to get more. If out at local store try on line, There was a thread about a month ago, and I posted a link. :)

  14. #14
    Super Member patdesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    So. Fla now, Va orig
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have the TrueCut Rotary Blade Sharpener by Grace Co. It works better than any of the other sharpeners I've tried. It will keep the blade sharp but won't take out a nick in the blade. The way to use a sharpener is to not wait for the blade to get dull. Sharpen a sharp blade and it will stay sharp. I ordered a couple of the Sharpening Rulers that sharpen the blade as you cut. They are suppose to be very efficient in keeping the blade sharp too.
    Good products, but the wait is terrible!

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Clanton, Alabama
    Posts
    6
    I am using the Tri-Sharp, that I bought at Hancocks in Birm.Al. It only comes in one size and seems to take out the knicks. I bought it when they had a 50% sale on quilting notions so I think I paid about $7.50 for it.

  16. #16
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by patdesign
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have the TrueCut Rotary Blade Sharpener by Grace Co. It works better than any of the other sharpeners I've tried. It will keep the blade sharp but won't take out a nick in the blade. The way to use a sharpener is to not wait for the blade to get dull. Sharpen a sharp blade and it will stay sharp. I ordered a couple of the Sharpening Rulers that sharpen the blade as you cut. They are suppose to be very efficient in keeping the blade sharp too.
    Good products, but the wait is terrible!
    You got that right! I'm in the holding pattern now. Glad to hear it's a good product. Would hate to wait this long and it doesn't work!

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2
    I have been buying Olfa 45mm blades on Ebay. The first time I bought 20 blades; later I bought 25 blades and a new cutter. Both were under $35 including shipping.

  18. #18
    Super Member Shelbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,946
    I used the Tri sharp (blue with sandpaper/diamond discs) so much that I wore out the discs. I then purchased the Orbitol sharpener ($37 Canadian, handles all sizes of blades). It too works well but you never get a blade a sharp as a new one. I figure on the first sharpening it is about 75% as good as new and lasts about 3/4's as long, second sharpening 50% and third sharpening 25%. Neither of these sharpeners will take out nicks but will make your blades last longer. The best bet may still be to stock up when blades are on sale. Dull blades make for miserable cutting and will damage your mat. Kleen Cut blades (an Olfa clone) regularly sell for $2.99 at Len's Mills and once in a while they are on for half price. That's when I buy a couple of dozen and then further extend this supply by sharpening each a couple of times.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.