Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Blade Sharpners >

Rotary Blade Sharpners

Rotary Blade Sharpners

Old 05-11-2021, 03:16 PM

yes you are right
Old 05-11-2021, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by johnacostilla View Post
i haven't tried one but you can use whetstones for sharpening japanese knives.
A whetstone for a Japanese knife makes sense but how do you use it for a rotary cutting blade? Do you have some instructions or advice for us John?
Old 05-12-2021, 02:57 AM

I've tried the Harbor Freight ones and hated them. Not sure if I bought a bad batch (bought 8 of them) or what, but they all had dull spots and wouldn't cut the fabric even if I went over it more than once. I order blades from the Quilting Twins when they have specials on them...never had a dull one.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:02 AM

Many years ago I got one of the early ones, it was two disc things and you sort of sandpapered the blades.

I followed directions and tried it for a good test, maybe a year? It didn't do much for me and it resides in the drawer of unused notions (a darker place than the isle of misfit toys). I think it can help keep an edge, but it wasn't enough help if you ran over a pin. Pretty much it was I had to start each day/cutting session by sharpening and I just didn't want to do that. If I'm going to take the handle apart, I'm going to just put in a new blade. And then, almost immediately after I run over another pin! Hate that

It took me awhile to adjust my thinking and that while maybe that single unit full priced blade replacement is rather expensive -- but it's a lot cheaper than my fabric and time. I now buy high quality blades in bulk+on sale. I try not to buy fabric or shop online, but when I put in orders for other things on Amazon, I check and see if there are any deals for things like blades or thread or whatever.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
It took me awhile to adjust my thinking and that while maybe that single unit full priced blade replacement is rather expensive -- but it's a lot cheaper than my fabric and time. I now buy high quality blades in bulk+on sale. I try not to buy fabric or shop online, but when I put in orders for other things on Amazon, I check and see if there are any deals for things like blades or thread or whatever.
Which blades do you recommend? Last new one I put in seemed to be dull before I even started cutting with it!
Old 05-12-2021, 07:42 AM

I just buy the blades at JoAnn's. I try and get them in the multipacks and when on sale or when I have a coupon. Have a good supply now and haven't bought any for a while. Seems to be the most economical way to buy them, still pricey, and the often have the mulitpack ones locked up so have to ask. Depressing to think that sewer's will shoplift but they have had a big problem with the blades walking off.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:45 AM

I think my current package was (3) 5-packs?? of Olfa name brand for around $40 including postage, but you gotta get the sales. Sometimes the fabric sites will have good deals as well, always check before you check out! Years ago and sometimes you still see them, Joann had super cheap cutters that I could buy on sale or with a coupon for just a couple of bucks.

While part of me balks at the idea, really -- $3-5 extra per queen quilt even is still cheap compared to the fabric at the $10-12/yard or time or even thread.

One thing to watch for is if you have two blades stick together. No, they don't cut better than one, they cut worse!
Old 05-12-2021, 10:16 AM

I've tried 3 of them that you place the blade into and then turn it; one was electric. Also tried the long flat one that you use your cutter and place the blade in a strip and roll it to and fro. That one didn't work either. Just spent a lot of money.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:44 PM

The new TruCut sharpener looks pretty good.

I tried the hand-operated sharpener and thought it was worthless and the electric one I bought 6-8 years ago wasn't much better.

I bought blades at Harbor Freight and thought they were great for the price, but not so hot when it came to actually cutting fabric on a cutting mat. Probably great for cutting carpet in a carpet cutter tool.

I buy generic blades on eBay - they might not last as long as the name brands, but the difference seems slight to me, if any.

I cut everything with my rotary cutters - quilting cotton, apparel knits, denim, canvas, cork leather/fabric, light leather, suede, heavy webbing, nylon zipper tape, heavy cardstock and template plastic.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:27 PM

I have use the Harbor Freight blades for years and sharpened them with my manual sharpener for just as long. It is the price that has kept me using them. I have been using less of them as of late and have a good rotary cutter that came with a few blades when I got it some time ago. Having used Harbor Freight for so long I forgot what quality was all about. This change a few months ago over to Quilter Select has been sweet. Even with that I have been doing less cutting because of my Accuquilt cutter so the rotary cutter is getting less of a workout these days.