Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary cutters & blades? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-cutters-blades-t222338.html)

Cmegrow 05-27-2013 07:23 AM

Rotary cutters & blades?

What is the best rotary cutter & blade you have used and how ofter do you need to change the blades? It seems that I change my blade with every project depending on the type of material I have been cutting. How do we make the blade last longer?

tjk829 05-27-2013 07:28 AM

I use the Fiskers classic loop. I started using titanium blades and I seem to be changing them after cutting a couple of queen size quilts. I'm guessing since I change them when they don't cut sharply. I do find the titanium blades to last longer.

jcrow 05-27-2013 08:10 AM

I have the 'Gingher' rotary cutter and blades and love them. Last weekend I took a Buggy Barn class and was able to cut through 9 layers of fabric with the blade with no problem. I was slash cutting 9 layers for about 10 minutes and had no problems at all. You can use the blade on a 45 Olfa cutter, also. I have a Gingher blade on my Olfa cutter. The Gingher rotary cutter is very expensive. I wouldn't have bought it, but I got it on sale. Normally it's $69. I'd never pay that price. But it's so easy to chance the blades. It's a one move punch to change the blades. It's so nice!!!

Nammie to 7 05-27-2013 11:43 AM

I don't change my blades very often - the one I'm using now has been on for a couple years and has cut just fine. I'm going to change it when I get back to sewing as it is leaving a few threads attached so it must have a knick in the blade.

bearisgray 05-27-2013 12:38 PM

I change my blades when I realize that I can't cut easily any more. Usually about half a quilt later than I should have.

Occasionally even a NEW Olfa blade will have a spot where it won't cut one thread. Very annoying.

Stitchnripper 05-27-2013 12:41 PM

I think I have used all of them, Olfa, Fiskars, a Fons and Porter blade, and Gingher, including titanium. Honestly they all seem the same to me. I've been using Harbor Freight blades now and they seem the same to me too.

DJ 05-27-2013 01:39 PM

I just bought a new Olfa. I really like it because the blade automatically retracts. In addition, when you are done using it, you can lock it with the push of a button. A new blade in any cutter makes it wonderful!

nativetexan 05-27-2013 02:52 PM

this has been asked many times. I like my Olfa rotary cutter and blades. Now, what kind of mat do you use for your cutting? If it is a cheap one or a white one, that may be dulling your blades quickly.

SavedByGrace 05-27-2013 02:55 PM

I've only tried Fiskars and Olfa......definitely prefer Olfa. Even returned a Fiskars I received as a gift and bought an Olfa instead.

barri1 05-27-2013 03:23 PM

I will let you know my opinion when Olfa emails me back.. I have only used Olfa cutters. Last week I decided to change the blade on the 60mm quick change, and it flew out of my hand. I had all the pieces, but couldn't get it back together. I took it into the LQS, and I compared it to their quick change, and theirs didn't have the washer, and it went back together easy. I think the bolt broke off the plastic piece. Olfa guarantees their products, so I want to see what they think.