Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rotary cutters & blades?

Rotary cutters & blades?

What is the best rotary cutter & blade you have used and how ofter do you need to change the blades? It seems that I change my blade with every project depending on the type of material I have been cutting. How do we make the blade last longer?

I use the Fiskers classic loop. I started using titanium blades and I seem to be changing them after cutting a couple of queen size quilts. I'm guessing since I change them when they don't cut sharply. I do find the titanium blades to last longer.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have the 'Gingher' rotary cutter and blades and love them. Last weekend I took a Buggy Barn class and was able to cut through 9 layers of fabric with the blade with no problem. I was slash cutting 9 layers for about 10 minutes and had no problems at all. You can use the blade on a 45 Olfa cutter, also. I have a Gingher blade on my Olfa cutter. The Gingher rotary cutter is very expensive. I wouldn't have bought it, but I got it on sale. Normally it's $69. I'd never pay that price. But it's so easy to chance the blades. It's a one move punch to change the blades. It's so nice!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I don't change my blades very often - the one I'm using now has been on for a couple years and has cut just fine. I'm going to change it when I get back to sewing as it is leaving a few threads attached so it must have a knick in the blade.

Power Poster
    I change my blades when I realize that I can't cut easily any more. Usually about half a quilt later than I should have.

Occasionally even a NEW Olfa blade will have a spot where it won't cut one thread. Very annoying.

I think I have used all of them, Olfa, Fiskars, a Fons and Porter blade, and Gingher, including titanium. Honestly they all seem the same to me. I've been using Harbor Freight blades now and they seem the same to me too.
    Alyce

DJ
    I just bought a new Olfa. I really like it because the blade automatically retracts. In addition, when you are done using it, you can lock it with the push of a button. A new blade in any cutter makes it wonderful!

Blog Entries
    this has been asked many times. I like my Olfa rotary cutter and blades. Now, what kind of mat do you use for your cutting? If it is a cheap one or a white one, that may be dulling your blades quickly.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I've only tried Fiskars and Olfa......definitely prefer Olfa. Even returned a Fiskars I received as a gift and bought an Olfa instead.

I will let you know my opinion when Olfa emails me back.. I have only used Olfa cutters. Last week I decided to change the blade on the 60mm quick change, and it flew out of my hand. I had all the pieces, but couldn't get it back together. I took it into the LQS, and I compared it to their quick change, and theirs didn't have the washer, and it went back together easy. I think the bolt broke off the plastic piece. Olfa guarantees their products, so I want to see what they think.

Blog Entries
    I have used the original olfa yellow rotary cutter for fifteen years and change the blade when that cutting through butter feeling is gone. When I have to use any pressure to get through the fabric is the tme for me to change the blade. Sharp edges on material makes for better piecing.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop