Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Rotary Cutters & Blades

Question Advice on Rotary Cutters & Blades

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to quilting so I'd love to hear your experience with rotary cutters and blades. Are no-name blades any good since premium blades are so expensive here in Canada.

Currently, I'm using two 45mm rotary cutters (name brand with an 'O') - ergonomic and the pretty turquoise one! Blades are not lasting too long!

Cheers, k

Power Poster
    Sometimes one can get a pretty good deal on e-bay for blades.

I buy these and have no complaints. They fit all my different brand cutters. Quilting Blade RD60-18133, Improved Cut, 45mm Rotary Cutter Blades, 10 Pack

$19 and free shipping at Amazon.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

The blades I bought from Amazon were junk. Every one of the 10 blades had nicks. Im back to buying brand name blades. I hope I just got a bad batch but will stick with Olfa for now.
    Sandra B

I stick with Fiskars, the grey and orange cutter. I purchase blades with a coupon or on sale at J's. I have friends who swear by their Martelli ergonomic cutters. Martelli's wants you to use their mats. I don't have a hand or arthritis problem so I haven't given them a long term test drive.

Rotary blades are the thorn in my side. I have to use the Martelli ergonomic cutter because of hand problems, and their blades are expensive, don't last and half of them seem defective. I have to wonder if it's something I'm doing wrong. On the positive side, the cutter is completely easy on the hands. You have to use their blades in the cutter because the notches at the center of most blades will ruin the Martelli bolt.
    Lisa

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Have not had luck with no name blades. The titanium blades are expensive but last well. My beef is with proprietary blades (like Martelli) that must be used in their cutter. And the specific shape of the blades is a little different for each brand. So I now have 60mm for Fiskars, Olfa and Martelli; 45 mm for Fiskars and Olfa and 28 mm for Fiskars.

It is just like the connections for charging electronics. USB B type, USB C type, lightning connectors. I leave home for three days and have four or five charging cords. None transferable.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I have been buying the same blades on Amazon as onebyone. I can't tell any difference from Olfa or Fiskar blades and they stay sharp a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
    Rotary blades are the thorn in my side. I have to use the Martelli ergonomic cutter because of hand problems, and their blades are expensive, don't last and half of them seem defective. I have to wonder if it's something I'm doing wrong. On the positive side, the cutter is completely easy on the hands. You have to use their blades in the cutter because the notches at the center of most blades will ruin the Martelli bolt.
    joe's mom, they also stress to use their mats. Maybe that's why they dull faster. I don't have either one but when my bee met there, we had to use their mats and their cutters. I always wondered if normal blades would fit. Your description of the notches makes sense.

I tried those blades that onebyone uses and they did not last long in my fiskar cutter. After about 5 or 6 uses they started to skip because they have 3 notches in the center hole. I went back to buying the name brand.

I fell for buying cheaper blades by 10 per pack. They are duller than the Fiskar blades I was replacing. Now I only buy and use Fiskar blades. They are about $3.60 per blade well worth to me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

It seems like a lot of people have problems with rotary blades. So far, I'm lucky - I've not had problems. Yes, they do get old and not as sharp, but not in an unreasonable time. I do use a Martelli mat, and love it for its own merits. Not sure if that makes any difference, though. I also have their cutter, but don't use it as it's a very unnatural position for me. Hopefully, I won't ever get to the point where I need to use that style.

I buy my Olfa blades in a multi-pack when they are on sale. The larger packs are a bigger investment, but much more economical per blade.

I've been buying Sewology blades in 5 in a pack containers. They come individually wrapped so you don't accidentally use two at a time. They are inexpensive at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon, and seem to last as well as the name brand ones.

I think a lot of a blade getting dull is how it is used. If you put pressure on the blade to cut into the mat then the blade will get dull faster. A good cutter with sharp blade does not need much pressure to cut fabric. If you are pushing down on it to go into the mat and not stay on top of it then of course the blade will get dull. A weighted rotary cutter have enough pressure without adding any. Quilter's Select, Tula Pink, Ginghers are all weighted.

A new quilter was dulling & nicking a blade with every quilt. After watching her technique realized she wasn't cutting along the template but leaning the blade to the left and angle the cut to the left. She was cutting the template and fabric. She realized what she was doing when the template was removed and she practiced cutting a straight line. Now her dulling blades is similar to everyone else.

Not saying anyone is doing this, just an enteresting experience.

I find using the right mat helps the blades last longer. My old mat was just a main brand mat but my rotating mat was a self-healing mat and I found my blades cut better and lasted longer so when I went to make a larger cutting table I searched for a self-healing mat. I also have a blade sharper from Nancy's Notions and found if used correctly it did sharpen my blades. Also heard if you turn the blade around when it starts to go dull it will give you some extra cutting time. I sharpen my blades once when they go dull on me, use them again and when they start to go dull on me again I use them in my rotary cutter for "paper only". I label my rotary cutters so I don't get them mixed up. This way I'm getting a second use out of them before I finally toss them out. I keep the containers they come in to keep the blades that need sharpened and those that need to be tossed so I don't get them mixed up.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    I use and love Olfa titanium blades. They are a bit pricy but they last quite a while. I sharpen them once before they are tossed. I think a sharp blade makes all the difference in cutting my fabrics evenly.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I sharpen a sharp blade and it is always sharp unless it gets a nick. I use the Grace vertical blade sharpener. Same principal that men used when they sat and whetted their knives every day. Sharpen a sharp blade.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    If you are talking about "Premium" brand blades available on Amazon I'm sorry they are pricey up north! They are my go-to down here. Very well made and inexpensive.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    Ooh, thanks for that info!
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    I have used a few different kinds of blades in my Martelli with no problem at all. They lasted very well.

Kitsie

I bought the import blades on ebay. They work fine for me in a no brand cutter. I have the Grace Truesharp 2 electric sharpener. After each cutting project I sharpen the blade, alternating 20 - 30 seconds on each side, three times. This has allowed me to use the same blade for 4 quilts now and a few other sewing projects and still going. I know some people do not like the Truesharp but it has performed well in my hands. My branded cutters and blades do not cut as well nor do they seem to sharpen well. I think that the import blades are thicker, therefore allow themselves to be sharpened better.

I recently bought a 10 pack of Olfa 45 blades from Stitch in the Ditch (Canada) when they were on sale at an excellent price. The blades are good. Keep an eye out for sales.

Have you looked at buying through Walmart? Some of my Canadian friends tell me it's the place to go to, especially if you are close to one and can do the order on line/pick up in store. I did check and they do have rotary blades but I didn't do any price comparisons.

I bought the same brand as Onebyone and they work fine. I just noticed though, that the price went up almost $5.00 from the last time I bought them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast