Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with brother VQ 2400 >

help with brother VQ 2400

help with brother VQ 2400

Old 05-02-2019, 10:45 AM

Default help with brother VQ 2400

i posted this problem a while back but seeing I had some things to get done i just kept sewing the way it was.

What is happening is, I can sew a pretty good stright stitch but when I try to change it to any other stitch it just sews a zigzag stitch no matter which stitch I choose.

I finished the quilt I was making and while sewing this quilt, the machine all of a sudden started to sew the way it should. I can tell when this happens as the stright stitch will be a little better stitch and I can back tack. I then tried the other stitches and they all sewed out fine.

I kept sewing and when I turned it off and later came back to the machine and tried to sew again it was back to doing the bad stitches, stright stitch ok but all the others a zigzag stitch.

When I had it cleaned a few months ago, I did tell then of this problem at that time, When I got it back they had a sample of how the machine sewed and it was perfect.Thinking they fixed the machine. I took it home and the machine started doing the same bad stitches,right away. When I called they told me to bring it back in. I did and the machine sewed fine, I really felt they thought that there was also something wrong with me. LOL

When I got the machine home the second time, I tried it and the machine sewed bad again stright stitch ok but all the rest Zigzag stitch. i called them back right away and told them it was doing the same thing again. they told me that they couldn't fix something that wasn't broken..but to bring it back and they would keep trying to sew on it and see if this happens at the shop when they try to sew on it.

I know this is what I will do, take it back but being without a machine will really be hard, as they said it could be a while before they figured out what was going on with the machine.
I was just wondering if anyone else had anything like this happen to them. The machine is not that old about 4 or 5 years. I also tried to plug the machine in a different outlet to see if that would help but it did'nt.

Thanks for your advice if any and listening to me, but I think the best thing is to take it back to the shop and leave my baby there.... Thanks again, and happy sewing
Old 05-02-2019, 02:12 PM

Is you machine plugged into a good surge protector? Not the $10 ones.
A good one costs about $50 but it's worth it. Those computerized machines
take a lot of juice when you switch them on.
Don't forget to check those little lights (regularly) that indicate if your surge protector
is still working. A defective one won't do much good for your machine.
Even if that does not solve your problem it's still a must have for any computerized
machine.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:48 PM

Get your cell phone out and video record what's happening, then you can show the shop exactly what it's doing.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:16 PM

When you say "all the rest" do you mean decorative stitches? How does a blanket stitch come out?

Suggestion #1) Does your machine have a usb port on the side? Make sure you have the latest update for your machine. You can check what version your machine is on on the preferences page.

Suggestions # 2) Take the sample with you to the dealer so they are sewing the same sample.

Suggestion # 3) Do you have a lock button on your home screen? It allows you to lock a stitch in so you don't accidentally change it. Make sure it not in the lock position.

Suggestion # 4) What bobbin are you using in the machine? Be sure that you are the recommended size and type. I use Fil Tec size 15 but check your manual. I also use pre-wound bobbins as there is more thread on them. But don't REuse to REwind other thread. They are meant to be thrown away when done.

Ask the dealer to contact B*rother with the issue as there may be a pending update. Perhaps there is a re-set the dealer can do. They need to see the issue in order to fix it.

Do you have the option of either sewing or quilting buttons on the initial start-up page?

Take pictures of the screen button and how it stitches so the dealer can compare them. Hope you get the issue worked out soon! It's hard to go without our machines.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:06 PM

Rhonda K
the rest of the stitches... is all the decorative stitches plus the blanket stitch it come out like a v and a few stitches and a v and a few stitches instead of a little stitch and then another.. This is so frustrating to me..

I also took a sample of how the stitches stitch out at home but when I get to the shop they were stitching fine..

That's the problem they don't see the problem as it sews out great when in the store.

I did plug in the machine in a plug in the kitchen, I know that this outlet, didn't have anything on it but the machine and it still did the same thing..I too thought maybe there was not enough power in the sewing room plugs..But it was working for a long time plugged into the same outlet in the sewing room...

I checked everything else you said to try and it's the same. I am hoping that there is some kind of reset that they can do.

I will take pictures of everything and show them when I get there.

It almost sounds to me that something is not connecting all the time and then it does and then it sews good again. maybe there is something loose in the machine.. Thank you for all your suggestion
Old 05-03-2019, 03:40 AM

Thanks for the update. This is really a puzzle. Hope your dealer can get this resolved for you soon.

Are you using the correct power cord for your machine? Is the dealer using your power cord and/or foot pedal? Try a different power cord and/or foot pedal. They may to be need replaced.

Do you have directional sewing on this machine model? It lets the stitches sew at an angle or other direction rather than straight. Check the preference page screen for settings if you do. They should be in the default setting which has a black box around the number.

Next suggestion: Does your machine have Memory Pockets? These are places to store a favorite stitch so you can use it next time. Do you have any stitches in the pocket?

I finally found the update for you. Here is a download for the update on your machine. It is not hard to do yourself. The steps need to be done in a specific order. The dealer should be able to do this for you if needed.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/down...00eus&os=10014

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2019, 03:45 AM

Another link about updates that may have information you need.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/manu...sh&type2=10001
Old 05-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
i posted this problem a while back but seeing I had some things to get done i just kept sewing the way it was.

What is happening is, I can sew a pretty good stright stitch but when I try to change it to any other stitch it just sews a zigzag stitch no matter which stitch I choose.

I finished the quilt I was making and while sewing this quilt, the machine all of a sudden started to sew the way it should. I can tell when this happens as the stright stitch will be a little better stitch and I can back tack. I then tried the other stitches and they all sewed out fine.

I kept sewing and when I turned it off and later came back to the machine and tried to sew again it was back to doing the bad stitches, stright stitch ok but all the others a zigzag stitch.

When I had it cleaned a few months ago, I did tell then of this problem at that time, When I got it back they had a sample of how the machine sewed and it was perfect.Thinking they fixed the machine. I took it home and the machine started doing the same bad stitches,right away. When I called they told me to bring it back in. I did and the machine sewed fine, I really felt they thought that there was also something wrong with me. LOL

When I got the machine home the second time, I tried it and the machine sewed bad again stright stitch ok but all the rest Zigzag stitch. i called them back right away and told them it was doing the same thing again. they told me that they couldn't fix something that wasn't broken..but to bring it back and they would keep trying to sew on it and see if this happens at the shop when they try to sew on it.

I know this is what I will do, take it back but being without a machine will really be hard, as they said it could be a while before they figured out what was going on with the machine.
I was just wondering if anyone else had anything like this happen to them. The machine is not that old about 4 or 5 years. I also tried to plug the machine in a different outlet to see if that would help but it did'nt.

Thanks for your advice if any and listening to me, but I think the best thing is to take it back to the shop and leave my baby there.... Thanks again, and happy sewing
Take a video and show them
Old 05-04-2019, 03:46 AM

I would unplug all cords on the machine and let it set for a few hours. When you plug every cord back in and turn it on it should reset the electronic "Brain". This is what I've been told by a repair man anyway....of course mine is a Janome.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:30 AM

Try sewing with it at the dealer to see if has the issue with you.

Also check the electrical box at the wall to make sure it has the correct current. Sometimes the wall box goes bad and needs replaced.